Search My Blog!!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Buttermilk Blueberry Walnut Bread

My good friend, Colette, told me today that she really enjoys reading my blog. Thank you, Cole! I love that you enjoy reading my postings here on Pb and Graham! Honestly, when I started this thing, my only goal was to learn how to cook. Eventually, I felt that it was time to announce my URL because I was no longer ashamed of the crap I had been eating! It's fun to post about the food I eat (though, sometimes I will admit that I get a little annoyed about the 5-20 minutes I spend trying to get a decent picture when Ron is sitting there finished with his meal). And it's even more exciting to hear that people try and enjoy the recipes that I post. I hope that the food makes up for the incessant ramblings that occur and the occasional lackluster commentary. I enjoy finding new recipes and I enjoy sharing the good ones with my family and friends!
So in light of the smile that Colette's comment planted on my face, I've decided to post about this bright, light, and hearty bread. Yes, another delicious bread recipe. I know I just posted one, but this one is actually slightly healthy! A few posts back, I mentioned that I could not find the recipe for a quick bread that I had recently made. But, YAY! I found it. I searched for this recipe after developing a craving for blueberry muffins one day and hoping to use up some leftover buttermilk. It was sooo good. It was delicious plain, or toasted, or with a spread of butter, or some jam, or with a smeared banana. It also freezes beautifully and smelled amazing while it was baking. It easily fulfilled my craving for blueberry muffins and I highly suggest checking it out the next time you want a delicious breakfast bread.
Blueberry Buttermilk Walnut Bread
adapted from Buns in my Oven
Yield: 1 loaf
Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/4 cup AP flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 2/3 - 1 cup chopped walnuts
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, add brown sugar, breaking up any clumps. Mix in buttermilk, applesauce, and eggs until combined.
  3. Slowly add in AP flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until just combined and mixed thoroughly.
  4. Gently fold in blueberries and walnuts.
  5. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment