Search My Blog!!

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Granola

It's been a long time since I posted.  Sorry about that!  I haven't spent much time inside and in the kitchen over the past week or so.  Instead, I've been outside!  I have made some small things here and there, but nothing worth posting.  However, I am back at it and hoping to post some good recipes.  (The few times I have been in the kitchen have been slight failures, by my standards.)


This is, by far, my favorite homemade granola recipe.  I've made it several times now and it is just really, really, REALLY good.  I always pick up the ingredients at the bulk section in the grocery store.  I love the 'heart healthy mix' of walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc. because they have less sodium than the jarred containers.  This recipe uses applesauce instead of oil (I lie; there is 1 tbsp of oil, but unless you are eating the entire batch, I don't think it should have too much of an impact) but it does not fall short.  I added some flax seeds to the recipe, but these can easily be left out.  Also, I HIGHLY recommend added dried apple pieces to the granola.  You'll be sorry if you don't!
Applesauce and Apple Granola
adapted from Fake Ginger



Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats 
  • 1 cup nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds) 
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds 
  • 1/4 cup flax seeds (or sesame seeds)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce 
  • 1 tablespoon honey 
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 2/3 cup chopped, dried apple
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together oats, nuts, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.  Set aside.
  3. In a small saucepan, warm the applesauce with the honey and oil over low heat.
  4. Mix the applesauce mixture into the oat mixture and stir to coat everything.  Spread the mixture onto a 9 x 13 baking pan.
  5. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the granola is a deep brown.
  6. Remove from oven and stir in raisins. Cool completely before enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment