Search My Blog!!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

WW Linguine with Garlic Steamed Asparagus and Pine Nuts

I haven't posted anything lately.  I've been making stuff, but not everything has been turning out so well.  I think I've finally learned my lesson.  Despite how much I love cooking and baking, I simply can't do anything that involves a lot of brain activity around finals.  It's pointless.  My mind is on other things and it almost always ends up bad.  In the past few days, I have burnt a banana bread, burnt chocolate chip cookies and nearly burnt my house down with a pizza disaster gone awry.  So, I've decided to keep it to easy things.  Despite my simple recipe attempts, this did not stop the asparagus in this meal from smoking up the place!  It's my fault, I had the burner on super high.  Oops.


Ron's been in Seattle for business, so it's just been me at the house.  I've been trying to make some healthy dinners, but ones that are individual servings.  During finals, I also find that I have a problem with leftovers.  A few weeks ago, I ordered the Perfetto Pasta Cooker.  I saw it in the Clean Eating magazine and did some research.  It came highly recommended, so I did some searching and found one for $10.  I ordered it, it arrived, it sat until I decided I finally wanted pasta.  Wow, it is pretty damn nifty!!


Granted, I probably didn't need to spend $10 on this little tube, but it's pretty damn incredible.  I don't have to dirty dishes.  I don't have to bring out a separate strainer.  I don't have to keep stirring.  What I do have to do is boil some water, pour it in the tube, stick in the pasta and let it sit for about 16 minutes (it takes a bit longer than conventional pasta).  I left my WW linguine in the cooker for about 17 minutes and it was cooked perfectly!  Even better?  It comes with this tiny little measuring thing so I could ensure that I was only eating one serving of pasta.


I decided to serve this up with some pan fried asparagus and pine nuts.  Overall, the meal was really good.  The asparagus got burnt, but I actually kind of like that crunchy taste.
WW Linguine with Garlic Steamed Asparagus and Pine Nuts
Yield:  1 serving
Ingredients
  • 1 serving (2 oz) of linguine or spaghetti noodles
  • Water & salt for pasta
  • Asparagus (as much as you want)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
  • 2 tbsp pine nuts
  • 2 tbsp chopped red onion
  • shredded parmesan cheese
Instructions
  1. For Pasta:  Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.
  2. For Asparagus:  Heat olive oil, water, garlic and asparagus in saute pan over medium-high heat.  Cook for about 2 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone.  Stir.  Cover with lid and cook for another minute.  Remove lid and stir.  Cover and repeat until asparagus are crisp tender, about 5 minutes.
  3. For Assembly:  Place pasta on serving dish.  Add asparagus; toss to combine.  Sprinkle pine nuts, onion and cheese over dish.  Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment