Search My Blog!!

Friday, December 3, 2010

Hot Cocoa Cookies - Week Nine

I've noticed a lack of "real food" on my blog again.  BUT, it's not as though I've been eating junk for the past few days.  I've actually made quite a few really good recipes -- however, the pictures are completely unappetizing.  :(  That's the problem with having a food blog.  It's expected to have a photo with each recipe.  I made a decision that after school is over, I'd like to take some photography classes and buy one of those fancy schmancy cameras.  I've always been interested in photography, so maybe that could be my new adventure post-school.  Maybe then I'll learn how to take such unphotogenic photos and turn them into something delicious looking.

This recipe was my first almost-fail for 12 Weeks of Holiday Cookies.  Look at how FLAT they are!  To be truthful, I seriously contemplated making a whole other batch just to take a photo because the one above doesn't do the cookie any justice.  Then, I realized that I don't have time to do that.  So, flat cookie photo it is.

Honestly, I'm going to blame finals.  I NEVER have problems in the kitchen except for around finals period (I tend to overmix, overcomplicate, misread, mis-measure, etc.).  I'm guessing that my butter was too soft or I inadvertently beat the hell out of the cookies while I was mixing the batter and put too much air in there.  Whatever I did, they ended up flat and needed to be pried off of the baking sheet.  I saw them on How Sweet It Is blog and HAD to make them.  I have a ton of 'Hot Cocoa Cookie' recipes saved, but this one just stood out to me.  And despite the fact that they fell and melted into one giant cookie on the cookie sheet, they were absolutely delicious; smelling and tasting exactly like hot cocoa!  I think I need to try these after finals to get them looking just right!
Hot Cocoa Cookies
from How Sweet It Is
Yield:  approx. 24 cookies
Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups AP flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup marshmallow fluff
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 cup mini marshmallows
Instructions
  1. Cream butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until fluffy.  Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.  Mix until combined.  Stir in marshmallow fluff.
  2. Fold in chocolate chips and marshmallows.  Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  4. Remove dough from fridge and roll into 1 1/2 inch balls.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  (Make sure cookies are fully cooked because they will be sticky from the marshmallows.)  Allow to cool completely then remove with a spatula.  Allow to sit for another 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment