Search My Blog!!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Honey Nut Scones

Finally! I made a proper batch of scones. After all of these times making scones, I've never actually had them be as flaky and delish as these ones turned out to be. They were so buttery and crumbly. Thank you, Dorie Greenspan! They have a hint of honey and have such a wholesome taste. As in all baked goods, the key is to not overmix the dough. I think I've finally mastered this art and the finished product is definitely thanking me for it.

I served these with some homemade cherry jam and homemade all-berry jam. (Recipe to follow.) Honestly, the best thing about Seattle right now is living in cherry town in cherry season. I'm going to turn into a cherry if I don't stop stuffing myself full of them! It's ridiculous how many cherries I eat on a daily basis. But I can't quit buying them at $1.99 a pound! When we left Minnesota, they were $11.99 a pound! The scones are so buttery that they don't need any extra butter. But Ron drizzled some extra honey on them for a bit of a sweet punch. They would taste amazing with anything though: jam, marmalade, fresh pumpkin butter... Next time you want a delicious breakfast or afternoon snack, whip these babies up and enjoy!
Honey-Nut Scones
from Dorie Greenspan: Baking: From My Home to Yours
Yield: 12 scones
Ingredients
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 1/2 cup cold whole milk
  • 1 1/2 cups AP flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 stick (8 Tbsp) cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Stir the egg, honey and milk together.
  3. Whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl. Drop in the butter and cover the butter with the flour. Using your fingers or a pastry blender, cut and rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is pebbly.
  4. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir with a fork, just until the dough, which will be wet and sticky, comes together. Don't overdo it! Stir in the chopped nuts.
  5. Still in the bowl, gently knead the dough by hand, 8-10 times. Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and divide into two halves. Pat each half into a rough circle that is about 5 inches in diameter. Cut into 6 wedges and place on a baking sheet.
  6. Bake the scones for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are deeply golden and firmish to the touch. Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I always have a hard time finding a decent scone! I hate the texture of most of them, either too spongy or too muffiny. These look perfect! I'll definitely try to whip them up when we get back. And, I LOVE the obsession with cherries. The jam sounds delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you must try them! I just flipped open the book one day and said, "I'll make these today." I guess I've always overmixed the dough. But these ones were just perfect! Definitely try them when you get back. And eat some amazing Irish food and drink delicious beer while you are over there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, so jealous of the cherries. i didn't even really like cherries that much until i had them in California one summer (straight from the farmer). Soooo good. And now I continue to buy them at their ridiculous price in MN and they never come close and it always makes me sad (especially after dropping $10 on a bag of them).

    ReplyDelete