Search My Blog!!

Monday, August 1, 2011

Peanut Crusted Chicken

It's no secret that my relationship with chicken, and meat in general, has been suffering. We're pretty much on the outs. I'll save the specifics about why but I've basically removed meat from my diet. If I have it, I have it once every two weeks. I don't think I'll ever go completely vegetarian - I am about to marry a carnivore - but Ron handles the meat when he wants it.
But I did eat this meal. Because it was good. Very good. I asked Ron what he wanted for dinner and he responded with "some kind of pretzel peanut chicken thing." Um, ok. A favorite blog of mine posted this Martha Stewart recipe and it looked easy enough. And because my pantry is often a peanut factory, I knew I wouldn't have to run to the store for any ingredients. So, I made it and I'm happy I did. It's not your usual, boring chicken meal but it's unique, healthy and full of taste. I did have to add a bit of tang but that's just because I'm a spice nut! Ron went back for seconds, enjoyed the leftovers, and I found out the oven works fantastical! Overall, a successful meal.

Peanut Crusted Chicken
from Martha's Stewart Everyday Food Cookbook, as seen on Greens-n-Chocolate
Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped peanuts
  • 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6-8 ounces each)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. Mix together peanuts and breadcrumbs in a shallow dish, and add in olive oil, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Whisk to combine.
  3. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs and season generously with salt and pepper. Drench each chicken breast in egg mixture, then transfer to peanut mixture, one at a time. Cover each chicken breast in peanut mixture, pressing it to stick.
  4. Place onto prepared baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley!
    I was looking to make something quick (and more importantly, something that required ingredients already in the pantry) for Chris and I last night, and I gave this a whirl. It was sooooo easy and tasty! We added cayenne pepper, garlic and cumin to jazz it up. Guess what I'm having for lunch today? Leftovers!
    Missing you here in MN,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Erin! I'm so glad! I'll have to try it with your additions next time. I miss you all!

    ReplyDelete