Search My Blog!!

Friday, April 2, 2010

Black Bean Burgers

I've always liked frozen black bean burgers, so I figured that it was finally time to put together my own... with food that incorporates fresh ingredients.  I really eat burgers.  (Burgers in the traditional sense that one would think of a burger.)  In a given year, I will probably eat a burger once.  And, that's not a lie.  I actually don't think I had a burger in 2008.  I know this for a fact.  I'm not a vegetarian, but in reality, I just don't eat a lot of meat.  I stick with meat a few times a week for dinner and it's normally chicken.  I will admit that I have been eating a tad more meat since I started blogging about the food I make.  But, that's because I'm normally blogging about dinner.  And Ron is home for dinner.  


Sorry for the picture.  I've complained about the lighting in our apartment on more than one occasion.  It's just terrible!  So, I have to try and use a flash but then the food looks neon.  I really don't make alien food.  It's just the lighting :(  Anyway, this burgers were very, very good.  I found them in a Cooking Light recipe and they were include in the reader recipes.  I was very disappointed with the latest issue of Cooking Light (they were frying things!  How is that "light"?) so I was very happy to turn to page 196 and see a recipe I would enjoy trying.


I cut the recipe in half in case they didn't turn out, but they did!  The original recipe makes 6 burgers.  I got 4 out of my recipe in half, so I'm wondering if I didn't make the patties big enough.  Unfortunately, I didn't buy hamburger buns so we ate the burgers on bagel thins.  It was still very good!  They did not take a lot of time to prep.  I definitely suggest trying them. My only complaint was the step that instructed to "carefully turn once".  Yea, that didn't happen.  The patties were stuck!  Oh well, they still cooked through and were tasty.  Was I supposed to turn the baking sheet instead of turning the patties?  Who knows.  Clarify people, clarify!  I'm in law school.  Interpretation is a HUGE part of it.  Specify what needs to be turned or else you'll get red-lined for being vague!  :)
Black Bean Burgers w/ Mango Salsa
recipe from Cooking Light reader recipes
Yield:  6 burgers
Ingredients
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
  • 3/4 c (3 ounces) shredded Monteray Jack cheese
  • 1/4 c panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 medium jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
  • 2 large egg whites
  • cooking spray
  • 1 1/4 c chopped peeled mango (about 1 medium)
  • 3 tbsp chopped shallots
  • 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 6 hamburger buns, lightly toasted
  • lettuce and additional toppings for burgers, if desired
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Lightly spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
  3. Place black beans in a medium bowl; mash with a fork.
  4. Stir in 1/2 c cilantro and next 7 ingredients (through egg whites).
  5. Shape bean mix into 6 (1/2 inch thick) patties.
  6. Arrange patties on baking sheet.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, carefully turning once.
  8. Combine remaining 1/4 c cilantro, mango, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a bowl.
  9. Place a patty on bun and top with lettuce, toppings and mango salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment