Search My Blog!!

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Jicama Slaw

We had a terrible dining experience the other day.  And, I mean terrible.  So terrible that it scarred me to the point that I've lost my appetite to dine out.  This is not good news as we love dining out.  It's one of our favorite things to do together.  But, this experience was so horrific that it's going to be awhile before we are gracing the culinary scene.

We began at one restaurant.  After waiting 15 minutes, for nothing (not even a glass of water), we decided to leave.  I'm always hesitant to force Ron to leave.  I feel bad.  But, I've also come to learn that if you have a bad experience within mere seconds of arriving/sitting down, the rest of the experience is going to be terrible and you are better off leaving right away.

So, we went to restaurant #2.  Within seconds, I knew this place was going to be a bust, but I still felt bad about making Ron leave restaurant #1.  So, in we went.  Without going into the revolting details (this is a food blog, I am about to talk about food), I will give a brief list as to why this was the worst dining experience ever:
  1. Smoke
  2. Bare feet
  3. No vegetables
  4. Terrible, terrible service
  5. Raw meat (for other diners as well)
  6. In addition to #5, inedible food due to poor quality and dirty dishes
Fortunately, a few good things came out of this experience.  First, I was inspired to find a good jicama slaw recipe.  Second, we discovered the area of Stillwater and we are excited to go back to explore, with a picnic-packed Ashley-approved lunch.  And third, Ron has finally been convinced to trust my judgment when I abruptly say, "We're leaving" instead of getting embarrassed.

Don't worry.  I spoke up.  We didn't pay.

This slaw was delicious and perfect for a BBQ.  Much healthier than the creamy slaw that is normally served with cabbage.  However, I would recommend finishing it all in one day.  The leftovers were mushy!  I added one shredded carrot and some chili lime almonds to the mixture (gave it a nice little kick) but cashews would work just as well.
Jicama Slaw
adapted from Food Network
Ingredients
  • 1 cup plain yogurt (I used FF)
  • 3 Tbsp lime juice
  • 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 3 cups shredded or julienned jicama
  • 1/2 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 carrot, shredded
  • 1/3 c almonds or cashews (optional)
Instructions 
  1. Combine yogurt, lime juice, cider vinegar, sugar, cilantro, cumin, s & p and whisk to combine.  Put in fridge for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
  2. When ready to serve, combine the jicama, green onions, red bell pepper and carrot in a large bowl and add the dressing.
  3. Toss gently but thoroughly to combine.
  4. Season with additional s & p and add nuts, if desired.
  5. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment