Search My Blog!!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

Some people go out to restaurants for a nice dinner when they have something to *celebrate.  Or maybe they go out to have some drinks to toast good news.  I've gotten in the habit of planning our own celebration menu that is finished with a wonderful dessert.  Normally, I try to stick with just a basic cookie or brownie, but I've recently started watching 'Cupcake Wars' on Food Network again.  Let me tell you - if you weren't craving a cupcake before sitting down to watch the show, you'll certainly be wanting one 5 minutes in.

I absolutely loved these.  Chocolate and peanut butter are my favorite candy combination, so I knew it would turn out well in cupcake form.  I didn't have any peanut butter cups to sprinkle over top, but the dark chocolate chips and honey roasted peanuts worked out just fine.  I cut the recipe down so we would only have 6 cupcakes lying around and it was very easy without eggs.  I highly suggest trying these the next time you are craving chocolate and peanut butter!

*These were not made to celebrate a Steelers Super Bowl win.  Insert multiple sad faces and several tears.  That is all that will be said.
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
Yield:  24 cupcakes
Ingredients
Cupcakes
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup canola oil
  • 2 tsp white vinegar
  • 2 cups cold water
Frosting
  • 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 3-4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 Tbsp milk (or water)
Instructions
Cupcakes
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line two cupcake pans with paper liners and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together and set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, water, vanilla extract and vinegar.
  4. Slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients being careful not to overmix.  (Mixture will be wet.)
  5. Pour the batter until the cups at two thirds full and place in the oven for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cup comes out clean.
  6. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then place on a wire rack.  Cool completely before frosting.
Frosting
  1. In a medium bowl, beat butter and peanut butter until creamy and virtually no lumps remain.  Scrape down the bowl.
  2. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and beat on low for 1 minute.
  3. Add milk and beat on medium high for 1 minutes.
  4. Add more powdered sugar as you go until you reach desired consistency.
  5. Spread frosting onto cooled cupcakes and top with desired toppings: chopped peanut butter cups, chocolate chips, peanuts, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, these looks sooooooooooo good. I don't think I could only make 6. I would eat the 6 all by myself.

    ReplyDelete