Search My Blog!!

Friday, February 4, 2011

Mexican Layer Dip

I am overwhelmed.  I am currently swimming in a sea of Super Bowl related recipes.  Every food magazine I receive is stacked full of recipes for foods like hot wings and baby back ribs.  The food blogosphere world has been blowing up with football snack foods and super bowl menu's.  The other day I clicked on a link to find not one, not ten, not twenty Super Bowl recipes, but one hundred and one.  AGHH!!  Naturally, I bookmarked about 50.  There are just so many variations out there: on buffalo chicken dips or crab dip.  Or spinach and artichoke dip.  And, there are tons of different toppings for nacho's, and varieties of chili's, and chicken bbq sandwiches, and brownies, and cookies. . . AGHHH!!

Yes, overwhelmed.

Finally, I decided on our Super Bowl XLV menu where my beloved Steelers will take on the smelly cheese heads.  It's simple and efficient.  But, I went through about 45 different menu's before I decided what to make. On the menu is my version of a mexican/taco layer dip.  This batch went with Ron to a potluck at his work, but I have enough to make for us on Sunday.  This dip is so quick to mix up and is delicious with tortilla chips.  Enjoy, and HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!
Mexican Layer Dip
adapted from a number of sources and tweaked with my own preferences
Ingredients
  • 16 oz. can refried beans
  • 1 (one-ounce) package taco seasoning 
  • 16 oz. sour cream
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or taco cheese) divided
  • 8 oz. guacamole
  • 8-10 oz. salsa (your choice)
  • sliced green onions
  • chopped tomatoes
  • shredded lettuce
  • 4 oz. sliced black olives
Instructions
  1. In a bowl, combine the refried beans and the taco seasoning packet.  Spread on the bottom of an 8x8 glass baking dish.
  2. Mix sour cream with 1 cup shredded cheese.  Spread over top of the bean mixture.
  3. Spread guacamole over top of the sour cream/cheese layer.
  4. Spread salsa over guacamole. (Be careful that your salsa is not too watery.)
  5. Sprinkle sliced green onions, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and black olives over the guacamole layer.
  6. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.  Add additional toppings of lettuce, olives, tomatoes, etc. as desired.
  7. Serve immediately and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment