Search My Blog!!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Marshmallow Crunch Brownie Bars

Perhaps it is because I am still sobbing over the Steelers loss.  Or perhaps it is because it is February - winter is far from over - and it is negative sixteen outside.  Perhaps it is because I just spent thirty minutes battling my cat for the sunny and warm spot in the house.  Or perhaps it is because my "lunch" consisted of crushed tortilla chips and brown rice.  Whatever "it" is. . . I am not in the best of moods today.  The annual winter funk is in full swing.  So instead of a healthy and delicious dinner option, I am posting another dessert recipe that is sure to put a smile on my face.  Oh, and I think it will put a smile on your face too. :)

I made this batch of marshmallow crunch brownie bars for the Super Bowl this past Sunday.  Prior to realizing that I could not find a Clark bar anywhere in town, I had originally intended to bake crushed Clark bars in the brownies!  I guess it is a good thing that I couldn't find them because these brownies were certainly decadent without the added candy bar.  I absolutely loved these brownies and so did everyone who tried them.  They were delicious!  I had made marshmallow topped brownies in the past, but I was very intrigued by the chocolate and pb krispie topping.  These are totally worth checking out.

My only complaint about these brownies was that I should have cut the recipe in half!  This recipe makes an entire 9x13 pan.  That's a lot of brownies and they were cut pretty big.  And because I didn't want to bombard my office with more brownies, I sent the leftovers with Ron where a number of Packers fans dined on them.  Grrrr.....
Marshmallow Crunch Brownie Bars
from Brown Eyed Baker
Ingredients
For the Brownie Base
  • 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
  • 2/3 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
  • 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Topping
  • 1 bag (10 1/2 ounces) miniature marshmallows
  • 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
  • 1 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 cups rice krispies cereal
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a 9x13-inch pan.
  2. For the brownies: In a medium saucepan, melt the unsweetened chocolate, butter, and 3/4 cup of the semisweet chocolate chips over medium heat.  Stir occasionally while melting. Set aside and cool for 5 minutes.
  3. In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.
  4. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs thoroughly. Add the sugar and vanilla and whisk until well blended. Stir the melted ingredients into the egg mixture, mixing well. Stir in the dry sifted ingredients and mix well.  Fold in the remaining 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips.
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the surface with a spatula.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the corner of the pan comes out with moist crumbs.
  6. Remove the brownies from the oven and immediately sprinkle the marshmallows over them. Return the pan to the oven for 3 more minutes.
  7. For the Krispie topping: Meanwhile, place the milk chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a medium saucepan.  Melt over low heat, stirring constantly, until completely melted. Remove from heat, add the rice krispies and mix well.  Allow to cool for 3 minutes.
  8. Spread the mixture evenly over the marshmallow layer.  Refrigerate until chilled before cutting.

4 comments:

  1. Your weather needs to get warmer so you can get outside. Those looks awesome and my teeth hurt just looking at them. I would need a huge glass of cold milk to drink with them. Good thing you don't live close to us, I would probably weigh 200 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family makes something just like this with chocolate cake, but brownies sound even more decadent and delicious. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your bars up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can vouch for how good these are! Thanks Ashley for sharing them with us... And Chris is a PB fan and he loved that addition to these treats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone :) Annie, I'm so glad you enjoyed them! I was so glad I got to share them with you and Chris!

    ReplyDelete