Search My Blog!!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Reese's Pieces Cupcakes

I don't like leaving my blog unattended. Finding recipes and writing about them on my blog is one of my absolute favorite things. But I have been dealing with some health stuff lately that has left me struggling to find an appetite and struggling to find motivation to write. I've often dealt with similar stomach woes - this past year has been plagued by them - but it's been pretty bad lately. I've gone three weeks where I wake up feeling full and go to bed feeling full, yet there is minimal to no consumption during the day. The other day, I had to force myself to eat some toast just so I could get some type of calories in my system but ended up giving it to Ron mid-bite. For a person who normally has a ravenous appetite, it's really quite depressing when you feel like you're stuffed to the brim every waking hour. I miss food. I'm sick of wandering around the grocery store like a lost dog and canceling dinner reservations at the last minute. So unfortunately blogging about what I haven't been eating hasn't appealed to me.

Yesterday morning, I ventured to the doctor to get checked on, again. I expected it - which is why I put off the appointment - but she asked if I was doing it intentionally, alluding to a possible eating disorder. Trust me, I'd be eating something if I could and I told her the same. It's complicated when trying to explain this problem. To say I "don't have an appetite" is a severe understatement. Some of you might recall that the reason I had such a poor showing at the 2010 Twin Cities Marathon was because I had no calories in my system... so for over a year, I have had far too many days where I go without eating anything, for weeks at a time. We'll see what happens ... I'm really not trying to be a hypochondriac and it's likely nothing serious but I wanted to at least explain my absence from posting.

So why is there a picture of a cupcake here? Well, I realized that today marks the second-year anniversary of PB and Graham. And even though I haven't posted as much during this past year, I still love my blog and I still continue to research recipes. At some point, my appetite will return and I will once again start making new things. But for now, I will celebrate my two-year anniversary with some delicious cupcakes that I made for a dinner that Ron and I had over the summer. Even though we ate them in August, I still remember how awesome they were. I left off the ganache (because I grew impatient). But you can click on the Novice Chef link below if you want the extra indulgence. Happy Birthday, PB and Graham!
Reese's Pieces Cupcakes
from the Novice Chef
Yield: 18 cupcakes
Ingredients:
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp warm water
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp instant espressor granules
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
  • 1 1/8 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • Reese's Pieces
Peanut Butter Frosting
  • 1 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
Instructions
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffins tins with paper liners.
  2. In a small bowl, combine vanilla extract, warm water, cocoa powder, and instant espresso granules. Whisk until well combined and set aside.
  3. Microwave butter until melted. Pour butter into stand mixer, add sugar, and mix on medium until cooled, about 4-5 minutes. Once cooled, add eggs one at a time, mix until incorporated. Add cocoa powder mixture. Reduce speed to low and add flour, alternating with the buttermilk, until just combined.
  4. Fill each liner 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Transfer to wire racks to cool for 15 minutes; turn out cupcakes on racks and cool completely.
Peanut Butter Frosting
  1. In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine confectioners sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt. Mix on medium-low until creamy. Add the cream and beat on high until the mixture is light and smooth.
  2. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and garnish with reese's pieces.

1 comment:

  1. Happy 2 year anniversary PB and Graham. I look forward to your stories and your recipes.

    ReplyDelete