Search My Blog!!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Tomato Basil Bean Salad with Italian Marinated Chicken

Here is another summer'ish recipe that I had made a while back when we hosted friends for dinner. We served it with a light chicken marinade and grilled out on a beautiful summer evening.  I love walking into the grocery stores at the end of summer and seeing heirloom tomatoes brightening the produce aisles.  They inspired me to seek out a lovely tomato salad recipe.

It was very good and I would definitely make it again.  But, my only complaint was that it didn't keep well through the night.  The beans tasted like super mush the next day so it was edible but just barely.  I knew this was bound to happen, but I still had a lot remaining and was hoping to at least try and get another meal out of it.  I however was not a fan of the pasty flavor the beans had coated over the tomatoes.  Having said all that, it is definitely worth making, just eat it the same day it was made.

I am also including the recipe for the summer marinade we used on the chicken.  I was hesitant to try this chicken because I just didn't understand how it was going to be very flavorful.  There were a lot of textures going on, but it didn't seem to be saturated which is what I normally expect of a marinade.  But, I was shocked when I tried my first bite.  The chicken, which Ron had cooked absolutely perfectly, was amazing.  It was seasoned perfectly and did not need any type of additional side sauce.  I don't know how it worked but it worked better than any marinade I had used before.  (Sorry there is no picture, but it was chicken with some spices on it.  Use your imagination.)

Tomato Basil Bean Salad
from Healthy. Happy. Life
Ingredients
  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, roasted or canned 
    • *You can use any variety of beans you'd like 
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • fresh black pepper
  • splash of EVOO (1-2 Tbsp)
  • 1/2 cup red onion, diced
  • 1 tsp maple syrup 
  • optional: splash of apple cider vinegar
Instructions  
  1. Prep your veggies: dice your onion. Wash and quarter slice your cherry tomatoes. Chiffonade your basil. Place in large bowl.
  2. Add all ingredients to large bowl and toss well. 
  3. Allow to sit in marinade for 5-10 minutes before serving!
  4. Best served day of. 
Basil Marinade
Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp chopped basil leaves
  • 1 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
  • 1 tsp basil and garlic seasoning, optional
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • Boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds)
Instructions
  1. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, basil, onion, seasoning (if using), salt, peppercorns, and garlic in a bowl.  Transfer the marinade to a gallon-sized seal able plastic bag with the chicken and shake to combine.
  2. Refrigerate chicken for at least 3 hours and up to 12 hours.
  3. When ready to cook, build a charcoal fire or preheat gas grill.
  4. Remove chicken from marinade.  Grill the chicken, turning once, until browned and just cooked through.
  5. Garnish with extra basil sprigs, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment