Search My Blog!!

Monday, October 18, 2010

Banana Nut Granola

My favorite thing about making granola is the fact that it always turns out so well.  I live off of granola, so I normally make a new batch every two weeks.  This recipe didn't come from anywhere, but was more or less compiled with what I had on hand and inspired by my brown bananas that I refused to turn into a bread.  I realized I've been making granola so often that I don't even need measuring cups anymore!  It was super exciting.  Next time, I'll probably mix in some dried banana chips to really make the banana flavors stand out.
Banana Nut Granola
Ingredients
  • 4 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup pecans
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp honey
  • 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce (or canola oil)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 cup of dried bananas or other dried fruit

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. Combine oats and nuts in a large bowl.
  3. Mash bananas in a medium bowl.  Add honey, applesauce or oil, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.  Beat with a mixer until smooth.  Alternatively, you could probably use an immersion blender (or real blender) to puree.
  4. Pour the wet over the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
  5. Pour granola on large baking sheet.  Bake for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
  6. Let cool completely.  Once cooled, add additional mix-ins (one cup of banana chips or other dried fruit) if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Just made this - quick, easy, and great way to use up old bananas without baking bread. Thanks! Also, I used an immersion blender and it worked great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I'm glad to hear it. I love making granola recipes. I'm actually about to put in a batch of pumpkin spice right now :)

    ReplyDelete