Search My Blog!!

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Harvest Pancakes

Perhaps the most profound and positive change that has occurred in my life since moving to the Twin Cities has been the quality of my diet.  Shortly before we left Pittsburgh, I started to heavily focus on where I was buying my ingredients, how food was being prepared, what restaurants Ron and I ate lunch and dinner, how many additives were in certain packaged products, etc.  After we moved, we started frequenting farmers markets and buying an abundance of fresh produce.  And, my life changed drastically after I spent a semester writing a paper that involved significant research of the Food and Drug Administration.  Without getting all "Food, Inc." on you, I can honestly tell you this, it is highly worth it to pay attention to the food you ingest, how and where your food is being purchased.  And, if you eat meat, it is absolutely worth it to pay the extra money to support local farmers who practice humane animal treatment.

So, why am I telling you all of this?  A few years ago, I ate a pancake breakfast at a chain restaurant and it was so delicious.  Shortly after, I was devastated to learn of the countless acts of inhumane farming practices that supplied such chain restaurant with its food, as well as several other chain restaurants.  Granted, I do eat meat, but I take the "Wayne Pacelle" approach to meat-eating.  And since then, I have vowed not to eat meat unless I know and approve of how it has been prepared.  This might offend certain friends and family members at dinner parties (don't worry; I am discrete), but this is an area that I feel very, very strongly and passionate about.  After the paper I wrote and the details I learned, I simply cannot ignore this issue because ignorance is not bliss in this situation.

So anyway, sorry about that, but had to say it.  I vowed to find a pancake recipe that mimicked this delicious pancake from chain-restaurant-that-shall-not-be-named.  And, I've finally found it.  The nutty and grainy texture in this pancake are so good and a small serving will keep you full for hours!  Serve along side some fruit and you have a healthy and amazing breakfast.
Harvest Pancakes
Food Elmundo
Ingredients
  • 1 cup quick cooking oats
  • 3/4 cup nuts - almonds, pecans, or walnuts (or mixed)
  • 1 cup WW flour
  • 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
  • 1 Tbsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 3/4 cup buttermilk, shaken
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
Instructions
  1. With a food processor, grind quick cooking oats and nuts to a pulse, crumbly mixture.
  2. Combine oat and nut crumbs with flour, flaxseed meal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs, and oil until blended.
  4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
  5. Spoon 1/4 cup mixture onto a preheated (medium to medium-low) griddle or pan sprayed with cooking spray.

No comments:

Post a Comment