Search My Blog!!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mexican Chocolate Wedding Cakes - Week One

Those who know me know that I simply don't know what to do with myself when I don't have an event on the horizon.  Sure, law school itself is an event every single day, but I need to have something else going on in my life in order to avoid total insanity.  The TC marathon is done and over with (and boy was it a doozy, but we don't need to go into the unfortunate details of the fact that I had to literally walk miles 11-26.2) and I haven't yet decided what to do or when I will start prepping for my August 28, 2011 adventure.  Sure, other things will come up, but for now I am focusing on getting healthy and recovering from the injuries I sustained during Twin Cities.

As I was hobbling past William Mitchell around mile 24, I realized that if I didn't come up with something to occupy my time, I would likely have a break down around finals (yes, yes, I break down around EVERY finals period, but I can assure you that this one would be worse).  I realized how much I love the season and what is to come over the next few months.  On Summit Avenue, the beauty of the historic homes and gorgeous changing leaves were mesmerizing.  I just kept thinking about how much I LOVE fall.  And, I love the fact that what arrives next is the holiday season.  The holidays make me feel warm:  family, good friends and company, fantastic food, cozy sweaters, and comforting music.  I just love this time of year.

So, as I stumbled across the finish line, realizing that I was in dire need of a cookie, I decided on what I was going to do to occupy my time.  I'm starting the holiday season a bit early this year.  Today marks the beginning of my 12 weeks of holiday cookies adventure.  And it actually works out quite nicely.  Each year I've considered doing some type of 12 days of Christmas cookie.  But, then you just have a whole lot of cookies to eat in a short period of time.  So, this way I soften the calorie blow a bit, use some recipes I've been dying to try, and I have something to look forward to every week.  Every week (mostly Tuesdays) I will be baking a new batch of cookies.  And from now until Dec.21 (when I will likely be at home making the annual cookie smorgasbord with my mom), I will post a cookie recipe.

Yay!  So, here is the first recipe:  mexican chocolate wedding cakes.  The recipe arrived in my mailbox last year during the newspaper's 31 days of cookies series.  For some reason, I knew I wanted to make these first, perhaps because I have been craving little powdered sugar covered dough balls.  I'm so glad I did.  They were quick, easy, and delicious!  They are unlike the typical teacakes because they added chocolate.  But, I'm not complaining.  I cut the recipe in half and got about 2 dozen cookies.  Well, 22 cookies to be exact.  Cali decided she should be able to eat one and knock another on the ground while doing so.
Mexican Chocolate Wedding Cakes
Pioneer Press 31 Days of Cookies email series
Yield:  5 dozen
Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups AP flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
  • powdered sugar
Instructions
  1. To make cookies:  In a large mixing bowl, combine brown sugar and butter, beating at medium speed for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.  Add melted chocolate and vanilla.  Continue beating, scraping bowl often until well mixed.  Reduce speed to low.  Whisk flour and salt together, then add to butter mixture.  Continue mixing until flour is blended (a food processor would work well for this type of dough).  Stir in nuts.
  2. To bake cookies:  Shape teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls.  Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.  Bake in a 350-degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until set.  Cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheets, then carefully remove from sheets and cool for 5 minutes on cookie rack.  Roll in or sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm and again when cool.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! This post really brightened my day. I LOVE the holidays and cookie baking! So, naturally, I love the 12 week cookie baking idea of yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any excuse to make a bunch of cookies, right?? I saw other people doing it and had to jump on the bandwagon :)

    ReplyDelete