Search My Blog!!

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Italian Chicken Burgers

I was hesitant to post this recipe.  You see, I had made them a few weeks ago and just realized the recipe hadn't been posted.  But when I opened up the draft and saw the picture, I started laughing!  I searched my photos for another picture, but nope.  This is what I have.

The recipe itself was great.  These were similar to other "chicken burgers" I have made and we really enjoyed them.  But, the picture is pretty embarrassing.  Judging by my image, I'm thinking one of two things: (1) I probably could have made a few more patties by making them smaller and thinner.  Or (2) I probably could have purchased a more substantial bun.  Seriously, the burger is about 1.5 inches thick compared to a bun that looks about 1/4 of an inch thick.  Oh my.

I figured they would taste similar to other chicken burgers, but they had their own unique flavors and were distinctively different from the italian chicken parm burgers I had made earlier this year.  Instead of using a skillet, I cooked these in the oven with the broiler.  It worked great.  In total, the meal took about 25 minutes to make and we really enjoyed them.
Italian Chicken Burger
from Paprika Red
Ingredients
  • 1 heaping cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1 Tbsp dried italian seasoning
  • 2 Tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 1/3 pound ground chicken (I used 1 lb)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp fresh, finely chopped oregano or basil (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 4 burger buns
  • Toppings:  tomato slices, thinly sliced mozzarella cheese, arugula, basil leaves
Instructions
  1. Make your seasoned breading by mixing the panko, italian seasoning, grated cheese, salt, and pepper.  Set aside on a large plate.
  2. In another bowl, mix the chicken, egg, salt, and oregano, if using.  Add about 1/4 cup of the bread crumb mixture, mixing gently and being careful not to overwork the meat.
  3. The patties should start holding together but if you need more panko to bind, add about 1 Tbsp at a time, using no more than an additional 2 Tbsp.
  4. Shape into 4 patties and dredge into the panko mixture, pressing the panko into the chicken patties.  You will have some leftover.
  5. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over Medium heat.  When hot, add the patties.  Cook until medium golden brown on the bottom and chicken appears cooked halfway, about 4-5 minutes.  Flip and continue cooking until the other side is the same color, another 3 minutes or so.
  6. Put your buns in a toaster or under the broiler in the oven.  When bottoms are light golden brown, with about a minute to go, add a layer of cheese on, if desired, and let cheese melt.
  7. Serve with additional toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment