Search My Blog!!

Friday, January 14, 2011

Molasses Honey Granola

Yes, another granola recipe.  I can't stop making it!
I think this should be titled "earth granola."  It is essentially based off of Bobby Flay's recipe for Agave Mango granola.  I watched him bake it on his show, Brunch with Bobby, and subsequently went to the bulk item section in the grocery store to purchase all of the ingredients.  I cannot emphasize enough how obsessed I am with the bulk item section and the salad bar sections in the grocery store.  They save me a ton of money!  Anyway, I got home and was all ready to make the Agave Mango granola only to find that I had no agave in the pantry and no diced mango as I originally thought.  (Recall that post about how I always forget what I need at the store?  Well, I fought the urge to return.)  So, without the agave and the mango component to the agave mango granola, I decided to push forward with the granola but use what I had on hand.  Hence, this came from it.  Delicious, nutty, health packed granola.  I've eaten it with yogurt and blueberries or sliced banana in the morning.  And for the first time in what may be ever, a breakfast at 7 a.m. has kept me full until lunch.  I'm still in shock!  It's a very good base recipe and dried fruit/other nuts could easily be mixed in.  And, it's as easy as other granola recipes.  If you like granola and you have yet to try your hand making it at home, I strongly encourage you to do so.
Molasses Honey Granola
adapted from Bobby Flay
Ingredients
  • about 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used one small container)
  • 3-4 Tbsp honey
  • 3-4 Tbsp molasses
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup slivered almonds
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ
  • 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 325 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, honey, molasses, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the oats, almonds, seeds, wheat germ, flaxseed, and salt.  
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix to thoroughly coat.
  5. Spread the granola onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
  6. Bake for 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until granola is light golden brown and starting to harden.
  7. Set granola aside to cool.  After cooling slightly and breaking apart large pieces, mix in any dried fruit that you may want to add.
  8. Store in a container for up to two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment