Search My Blog!!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sweet Potato Raisin Bread

I was looking for something sweet to post today, but I realized that I have nothing in my to-be-published posts that could really be considered a "sweet treat."  What the heck?!?!  I guess I took the whole New Years sugar detox seriously.  Well, in some ways.  I have made some half-batches of cookies and I have been snacking on the leftover chips in the fridge.  I think it might be time to use them and bake something.  Those chocolate chips would probably do less damage if they were baked in a brownie instead of piling up in front of me as I study.

But, I have baked up some breakfast breads, so I guess that it something to be happy about.  Like this sweet potato raisin bread.  It rocked.

You know, there comes a time when I am baking that I have to determine if the end product is going to be Ron-friendly.  This happens with cookies, muffins, cakes, etc.  I have the basic mix going with all the essential baking ingredients.  If the batter goes into the oven at this point, it's a Ron-friendly treat.  If I continue with add-ins, depending on what they are, I'll either be eating an entire loaf of bread myself or Ron will be assisting.

I made this sweet potato bread non-Ron friendly.  It was a last minute decision.  I added raisins.  And you know what?  I'd do it again.  This bread is so good.  I loved it.  Like all quick breads, it's very easy to mix up.  And, you can either add in the raisins or omit them, because it would be delicious all the same.  Ron did try a slice of the bread.  Granted, I had to literally pick out all of the raisins in the slice for him to eat it.  But, he did.  And he enjoyed it too.  So, make it!
Sweet Potato Raisin Bread
from Healthy Food for Living
Yield: 1 loaf
Ingredients
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • generous 1 cup sweet potato puree (bake a large sweet potato at 400 degrees F for about 1 hour or until soft, peel and mash flesh)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup low-fat milk
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup raisins (optional)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly coat a 9x5 inch loaf pan with baking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (both flours through chopped pecans).
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients (eggs through milk).
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir just until moistened.  If you are using raisins, fold them into the batter carefully until evenly distributed.
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes.
  6. Let bread rest in pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment