Search My Blog!!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Seared Steaks with Caramelized Onions and Gorgonzola

If you are reading this, you are either excited about the recipe or cringing by the words gorgonzola.  Salty cheeses, like gorgonzola, are hit-or-miss in my book.  Some people love the taste.  Others simply cannot stand it.  I was like this with blue cheese when I was younger, but I have since adapted to it and if its included in a dish, I'll eat it.

I was quite nervous to mix this recipe up as I don't often cook anything with red meat.  When we do have steaks, Ron normally grills.  So, when I saw that I had spent $30 on a pound of meat, I knew I better not mess it up.  I didn't!  Phew!  And this was delicious.  Even though the caramelized onions look like worms, I would definitely make this meal again.  But next time we wouldn't pair it with the bitter tasting white wine we used.  Bleck!  In our defense, we were out of pinot noir.
Seared Steaks with Caramelized Onions and Gorgonzola
from Eating Well
Yield:  4 servings
Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp canola oil, divided
  • 2 large onions, sliced (about 4 cups)
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
  • 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp salt, divided
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound beef tenderloin (filet mignon) or sirloin steak, 1-1 1/4 inches thick, trimmed and cut into 4 steaks
  • 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola, or blue cheese
Instructions
  1. Heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat in a large skillet.  Add onions and brown sugar; cook, stirring often, until the onions are very tender and golden brown, about 15 minutes.  Add broth, vinegar and 1/4 tsp salt and cook, stirring, until the liquid has almost evaporated, 3-4 minutes more.  Transfer the onions to a bowl; cover to keep warm.  Clean and dry the pan.
  2. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 tsp salt and pepper on both sides of each steak.  Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp oil in the pan over medium-high heat.  Add the steaks and cook until browned, 3-5 minutes.  Turn them over and top with cheese.  Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the steaks are cooked to desired doneness, 3-5 minutes for medium-rare.  
  3. Serve the steaks with caramelized onions.  Pair with some vegetables, a baked potato, or some garlic mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment