Search My Blog!!

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Cake Batter Ice Cream

I GOT AN ICE CREAM MAKER!!

Well, actually. I got the ice cream maker attachment to my KitchenAid mixer. But it works just as well and it is the most amazing thing in the world! Speaking of KitchenAid mixers, I finally got one and I've used it almost every single day! My mother has been spoiling the heck out of me lately (perhaps its because she's sick of hearing me complain on the phone). She had received some gift cards and gave them to me and I ordered the most beautiful machine ever. It's been put to great use!

And on the same day my mixer arrived, Hogwarts arrived! This beautiful decoration is sitting on top of the mantle as we speak, front and center. It was like Christmas in July!
So, yes. I had to get the ice cream maker attachment. I'm don't normally eat real ice cream. I always opt for that sugar-free, low-fat, or total watery crap for whatever reason. (Note: frozen pureed bananas are not watery-crap and if you haven't tried them, you must!) Well, watery crap no more! I was celebrating my unbirthday (a justified one; my half birthday) the other day and desperately needed good ice cream. So I got all the ingredients ready for this batter and began the process, super excited to eat the most delicious ice cream ever.

Fail. Apparently, I turned my custard into scrambled eggs. Scrambled eggs do not make good ice cream.

But I didn't give up and tried again. And I will never go eat watery ice cream crap again.
Cake Batter Ice Cream
from Annie's Eats
Ingredients
  • 2 cups heavy cream, divided
  • 3/4 cup yellow cake mix
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
Instructions
  1. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup of the heavy cream with the yellow cake mix, sugar, and salt. Heat over medium heat until warmed through. Meanwhile, place the egg yolks in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Combine the remaining cream, vanilla, and whole milk in a large mixing bowl with a fine mesh sieve over the top.
  2. When the mixture in the saucepan is warm, slowly pour a small amount into the bowl with the egg yolks to temper them, whisking constantly. Continue pouring the cream mixture in a steady stream, whisking continuously until completely combined. Return the mixture to the saucepan over medium heat. Continue heating, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan, until the mixture thickens slightly and reads 170-175 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
  3. Immediately pour the custard mixture through the mesh sieve into the bowl with the remaining cream and milk and mix to blend. Cover and chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. Once chilled, freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment