Search My Blog!!

Friday, September 30, 2011

Tortellini Soup

I'm very proud of myself. This recipe came* from the most recent Food Network magazine. This really shouldn't be a cause for celebration, but to me it is. Because it means that I have now cooked two recipes from one month's magazine!! And considering I normally tab about 40 recipes in each of the three magazines I receive each month (Cooking Light, Food Network, and Bon Appetit) but rarely make one, this is quite the achievement. I've been forcing myself to cook and bake from the many magazines I get on a monthly basis and the ridiculous amount of cookbooks I own. I don't know why I tend to cook and bake from food blogs. I think there is something to be said about recipes that come attached with pictures of the finished product. Not many cookbooks or magazines can pull that off without charging a ridiculous amount. So, I gravitate towards the photos that look most appetizing and go from there. But given the money I spend on the cookbooks and magazines, it's time to give them some love too!
We absolutely loved this hearty soup. It is an ideal 30-minute meal that can easily be prepped in 10 minutes. Everything practically goes into the pot at once so once it's in and simmering, you're good to go. The soup was very good. I loved the flavors and most especially, the colors. (We recently replaced the lightbulbs in the kitchen. Sadly, this photo was taken prior to the lightbulb change.) The seasoning is mixed in with the ground beef and after that it is super simple. Ron served as my sous chef for this recipe and helped with the canned ingredients. (This recipe can easily be made with fresh products, as opposed to canned, but the cans are the sole reason the recipe is simple so adapt as you wish.) I might hire him from here on out. The recipe makes a ton of soup so you'll have plenty of leftovers. Enjoy!

*Ok, it was listed on an advertisement for Sam's Club. But it still came from the magazine. :)
Tricolor Tortellini Soup
from Sam's Club
Ingredients
  • 1 lb grass-fed 90% lean ground beef
  • 1 Tbsp italian seasoning
  • 1 Tbsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 cup onion, diced
  • 2 x 14.5-ounce canned diced tomatoes
  • 1 x 15.25-ounce can corn, drained
  • 2 x 14-ounce cans chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 Tbsp italian seasoning
  • 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
  • 4 cups fresh spinach
  • 2 cups carrots, sliced
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 pound tricolor tortillini or spinach and cheese tortillini (or ravioli)
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Instructions
  1. In large bowl, add ground beef, 1 Tbsp italian seasoning, paprika, salt, and pepper; mix to combine. Crumble mixture and add to skillet with diced onions. Brown in skillet over medium heat.
  2. In large pot, combine browned ground beef mixture, diced tomatoes, corn, chicken broth, water, 2 Tbsp italian seasoning, garlic, spinach, carrots, salt, and pepper. Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil.
  3. Once mixture is boiling, add tortellini to the pot and boil for 3 minutes. Decrease heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment