Search My Blog!!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Whole Wheat Banana Cranberry Oat Bread - Mini Loaves

It has been a while since I've been on here!  Blame finals.

I am SO excited to make Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.  It is the first time that I am going to try and tackle it myself.  There are a few things that I pre-purchased(already made) but I am going to attempt a slow-cooker turkey/stuffing, cranberry sauce, biscuits, and sweet potato casserole by myself.

Today, I had some leftover bananas and cranberries.  I decided to search for a yummy healthy recipe to use these ingredients (and other stuff I had lying around the kitchen).  I found this wonderful recipe for a banana oatmeal loaf from the Two Peas in a Kitchen blog.  I made a few changes and reflected the changes in my recipe below.  The original can be found by clicking the link above.

I used my mini-loaf pans.  I love making bread, but I am in no position to eat a whole loaf to myself.  These little pans are adorable and you can freeze one mini-loaf to save for another time.  What a cute gift idea :)



Whole Wheat Banana Cranberry Oat Bread
adapted from Two Peas in a Kitchen

Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/4 old-fashioned oats
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • dash of nutmeg (approx. 1/8 teaspoon)
  • 1 tablespoon of Splenda brown sugar blend (or 1/4 cup of regular brown sugar, packed)
  • 2 medium-largeish bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup (large individual container) light vanilla yogurt (Dannon Light & Fit works well)
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar
  • 1 tablespoon honey (preferably orange blossom)
  • 1 large egg
  • splash of milk, as needed
  • 3/4 cup fresh chopped cranberries (measure before chopping)
  • about 1/4 cup chopped pecans to sprinkle on top



Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350*. 
  2. Combine dry ingredients (flour through brown sugar) in a small bowl. 
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together remaining ingredients except cranberries and pecans.
  4. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients. 
  5. Stir in cranberries.
  6. Pour mixture into loaf pan. 
  7. Sprinkle with pecans.
  8. Bake about 45 minutes, or until lightly browned and knife comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment