Search My Blog!!

Friday, June 18, 2010

Greek Wheat Berry Salad

First things first, I'd like to address something important here.  I've been noticing several grammatical errors in my blog posts.  As of today, I have decided that I don't care.  I am normally one to cringe when I see a comma in an inappropriate place, but I have, decided that I, will use as many, commas as, I want.,,,,,  This is my way of rebelling.

When I cook and bake, the kitchen turns into a disaster.  I don't put ingredients away as I go.  I don't clean up things that spill all over the countertops.  It's a terrible habit that I really need to break.  I always hear chefs say, "A clean cook is a happy cook."  Indeed, I am not a happy cook at the end of this process.  So, before I sit down to eat, I normally take the time to return the ingredients to their respective positions in the kitchen and wipe down the counters.

But, there are times that I taste the meal, and the meal is so good that I immediately fix myself a bowl to eat, leaving the kitchen in complete disarray.  This is exactly what happened with this greek salad.  There were dribbles of tahini and red wine vinegar all over the countertops, the remnants of several wheat berries left on the saucepan.  But, I sat, happily, eating my lunch and savoring every single bite... as brine from the empty container of kalamata olives slowly dripped onto the floor.

Note:  it can be a bit salty w/ the olives and feta.  But, considering I have a low-sodium count as it is, I was perfectly fine with this.  Also, a cucumber was meant to go into this recipe, but you can't see it in the photo because a cucumber was not included in mine.  That's another story...
Wheat Berry Greek Salad
recipe from Bitchin' Camero
Ingredients
  • For Dressing
    • 1/4 cup olive oil
    • 3 T red wine vinegar
    • 1 t salt
    • juice of 1/2 a lime
    • 2 T tahini
    • 1 t dried oregano
  • For Salad
    • 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
    • 1 large cucumber, diced
    • 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced (or 1/4 of a red onion, thinly sliced)
    • 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    • 2 cups cooked grains (I used wheat berries)
    • 1/4 lb feta cheese, crumbled
    • 1/2 c chopped kalamata olives
Instructions
  1. Place all of the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and whisk together.  Set aside.
  2. Combine the remaining ingredients, drizzle with the dressing and toss until thoroughly combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment