Search My Blog!!

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Biscoff Cookies - Week Eight

Ron and I recently traveled via the friendly skies on a short vacation down to Florida.  I'm excited to report that I will be posting a full, detailed (and rather long) overview of our trip at some point in the next few days.  But, for now, I'm posting week eight's cookie recipe!  It is coming late because we were traveling, but better late than never.

This cookie was actually inspired by our recent air travels.  I cannot tell you how excited I get when the Delta flight attendant approaches my seat and says "cookies or pretzels?"  So, I was very unhappy when I looked at our ticket and realized I had booked AirTran for our flights.  What was I thinking?  Nevermind the fact that our plane was taking off from the crappy Humphrey terminal with terrible dining options and no shopping whatsoever (though, one positive was that we didn't have experiences with full body scanners over there), but we also wouldn't be getting any Biscoff cookies on the flight!  Frick.  Major fail.  I love Biscoff cookies.  They are a cinnamony, sugary, biscuity cookie and taste absolutely delicious with coffee. (Biscoff cookies are actually Belgium's favorite cookie known as speculoos cookies.  It is a crisp, spice cookie similar to a gingerbread, but more dense.)  The cookie is full of delicious spices and is delightful for a holiday spread.

On our return flight, the (rather rude) flight attendants walked down the aisle about 2 hours into the flight with a surprise treat:  BISCOFF COOKIES!  They were smaller than the ones we get on Delta, but delicious still the same.  I was so excited and knew that it called for a celebration so I searched for a copycat recipe.  Once found, I baked this batch up to celebrate week eight.  I left these in the oven for about 15-16 minutes to get them firm.  Once they cooled, they hardened up to that same buttery, crumby crunch that I love from Biscoff cookies.  Copycat recipe win!
Biscoff Cookies
from Cupcake Project
Ingredients
  • 2 C AP flour
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1/4 C firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour, spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves), baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In a separate large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer on low speed.  Mix in vanilla extract.
  4. Gradually blend the flour mixture into the butter mixture until well combined.
  5. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness.  Use cookie cutters to make desired cookie shapes.  Chill dough first if you find that it is difficult to roll.
  6. Place dough shapes onto parchment paper and bake for 13-16 minutes.  Cool on rack before serving.  Best served once they have cooled.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE biscoff cookies! Too bad I have no time to bake these any time soon. Ps- you can buy biscoff at walgreens, of all places. I craved them in the first trimester. :)

    ReplyDelete