Search My Blog!!

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Toasted Almond Scones

Yes!  Another scone recipe!  Once I get on a scone kick, I can't seem to stop.

This ones were baked recently for a friend's birthday.  I always like baking stuff that people enjoy for their birthdays, so I was very happy when she told me that she liked anything almond flavored.  At first, I was torn between cookies or a cake.  But, cookies are getting too much attention from my kitchen lately, so I quickly vetoed them.  I then purchased all of the ingredients for a beautiful almond cake, but quickly changed up my mind when I was flipping through my favorite cookbook and saw another delightful recipe.

So far, my birthday treats this year have fallen on Wednesdays.  I get to school so early on Wednesdays that I have brought in breakfast items because it felt more appropriate.  I guess the thought of digging into a icing laden cake at 8:30 a.m. doesn't sit well with me.  Dorie's toasted almond scone recipe has been on my to-bake list for quite some time, so I knew I had to make these as a treat.  I felt that the finished product needed some jazz so I whipped up a quick almond icing to drizzle on top.  Huzzah! Toasted almondy glazed goodness.
Toasted Almond Scones
Yield:  12 scones
Ingredients
  • 1 cup blanched almonds (whole, slivered or sliced), toasted
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup cold heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup cold milk
  • 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
  • 1 3/4 cup AP flour
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 stick (8 Tbsp) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
  • Glaze:  1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp pure almond extract
  • 2 Tbsp milk
Instructions
  1. For Scones:  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
  2. Divide the toasted almonds in half.  Finely grind 1/2 cup in food processor or blender with sugar, taking care not to overgrind the nuts and end up with an almond butter!  Finely chop the other 1/2 cup of toasted almonds.
  3. Stir the egg, cream, milk and almond extract together in a small bowl.
  4. Whisk the flour, ground almonds and sugar mixture, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.  Drop in the butter and, using your fingers, toss to coat the pieces of butter with flour.  Quickly, with a pastry blender (or your fingers), cut and rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is pebbly.  (You'll have pea-size pieces, pieces the size of oatmeal flakes and pieces the size of everything in between - this is just right.)
  5. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir with a fork just until the dough, which will be wet and sticky, comes together.  Don't overdo it.  Stir in the chopped almonds.
  6. Still in the bowl, gently knead the dough by hand, or turn with a rubber spatula 8 to 10 times.  Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide in half.  Working with one piece at a time, pat the dough into a rough circle about 5 inches in diameter, cut into 6 wedges and top each scone with a few sliced almonds, if desired.
  7. Place scones on a baking sheet.  Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the tops are golden and firmish.  Transfer to a rack and cool completely before drizzling with almond glaze.
  8. For Almond Glaze:  Combine powdered sugar, almond extract, and milk in a small bowl; whisk until smooth.  If too thick, add more milk.  If too thin, add more powdered sugar.  Drizzle icing over cooled scones.  Sprinkle more sliced almonds over glaze, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment