Search My Blog!!

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Jalepeno Cheddar Bread

Instead of the typical cornbread that I normally serve with chili, I decided to change it up and bake a bread that I have had saved in my que for a while now.  I've never made any type of bread that has cheese in it so I was excited to try this and for Ron to test it out.  We absolutely loved it!  It has officially replaced all chili-accompanying bread from here on out.

This bread takes minutes to put together.  Most of the work involved is cutting up the peppers.  I didn't use roasted red peppers for my bread like the original recipe requested.  I knew I'd have enough trouble getting Ron to eat a bread that had green specks in it, so the red would certainly be a challenge.  I did use the green pepper but he couldn't tell the difference.  This bread is delicious.  Ron cut up chunks to eat with his chili.  I've never seen him so excited to eat leftovers, but I'm happy to know that the entire meal was a success.
Jalepeno Cheddar Bread
Homemade by Holman
Ingredients
  • 2 cups AP flour
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 jalepeno peppers, seeded and diced
  • 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, diced
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Spray an 8" x 4" loaf pan with baking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper, and cheese.  Toss together and make a well in the center.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine milk, oil, and egg and whisk together.  Pour mixture into well in center of flour and stir mix together lightly with a wooden spoon.
  4. Add peppers and stir just until dry ingredients are all combined.  The batter will be lumpy.
  5. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
  6. Bake bread for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out of pan and cool completely on a wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. This bread looks so good. I definitely will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete