Search My Blog!!

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Espresso Cappuccino Scones

I've been on a scone baking kick lately.  I love making them.  They are just so fun!  I created this recipe one day when I wanted something more "coffee-ish" to go with my coffee.  Isn't that horrible?  I needed coffee, with a side of coffee.

This recipe was dynamite but I hesitated to post it.  First, I wasn't sure if I should have dissolved the espresso powder instead of just adding the espresso powder in so I contemplated baking them again.  I think that had I just added the espresso powder, we would've had a bit more "oomph" to the taste.  But, I decided to post because they were pretty tasty as the recipe stands.  But, the main reason for my hesitation was that I've had a hard time finding the Guittard cappuccino chips in stores since my mom sent me some packages a while back.  A quick google search informed me Guittard stopped making them indefinitely (gasp!) but I did locate them on King Arthur flour.  Mini chocolate chips would work perfectly fine here, but I encourage the cappuccino chips as they really are a unique flavor that are  distinctive in this scone.  Plus, you can make tons of other mocha'y goodness with them!
Espresso Cappuccino Scones
adapted from a number of sources
Yield:  16 scones
Ingredients
  • 3 cups AP flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 stick butter, cut into pieces and chilled
  • ~3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 3 oz. strong coffee or espresso
  • 1/2 cup - 2/3 cup cappuccino chips (or mini chocolate chips)
  • 1 Tbsp heavy cream
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
  3. Mix butter in with the dry ingredients until the mixture is dry, coarse and crumbly.
  4. Mix espresso in a measuring cup.  Add enough buttermilk to equal 1 cup total, then stir into the flour/butter mixture.
  5. Add the cappuccino chips and mix until evenly distributed.
  6. Divide dough into 2 sections.  Roll one section into a round with 3/4" thickness.  Cut into 8 even scones.  Repeat with remaining dough.
  7. Brush scones with heavy cream.
  8. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment