Search My Blog!!

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola

I've discussed my obsession with the Food Network in the past. For those who don't remember, watching shows at 3:00 a.m. became a compulsive habit of mine during my first year of law school. During periods of insomnia, I would enter this strange hazy world where every thing mentioned on the Food Network would appeal to me. So naturally, I would buy the things I saw if they could be shipped. I thought the most I'd ever spend was $36 on 6 brownies from a bakery in Maine but fast forward to 2011.
Several weeks ago, just right before my birthday, Ron and I were watching"The Best I ever Ate" chocolate special. Bad news. Long story short, we spent way too much money on chocolate from New Hampshire and peanut butter from San Francisco. Um, wayyy too much money.
All in all, everything ordered was delicious and enjoyed. But one of the peanut butter spreads that arrived was somewhat dark. Ron had ordered the espresso chocolate kind. It tasted like coffee grinds, so I tried to figure out what to do with it. Peanut butter granola came to mind and this granola was promptly made. Wow, fantastic! It was much more indulgent than my normal granola recipes, but totally worth it. I did use the dark chocolate espresso spread that Ron bought, but any PB will do. What a great way to use a product that we didn't know how to handle! It smelled delightful and tasted delicious with banana. I think this might actually be considered an "Elvis" granola recipe. Enjoy!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (I use a small individual carton)
  • 1-2 Tbsp honey
  • 2 Tbsp dark cocoa powder
  • 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
  • 3 1/2 - 4 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
  • 1 cup unsalted, roasted peanuts
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 - 1 cup dark chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Place a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Combine applesauce, honey, and peanut butter. Whisk until smooth and heated throughout. Add cocoa powder and brown sugar; whisk until thoroughly combined (will be slightly thick).
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, flaxseed meal, peanuts, salt, and cinnamon.
  4. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the oats and mix until evenly distributed.
  5. Spread granola mixture onto the baking sheet and sprinkle about 1/4 c of dark chocolate chips over granola.
  6. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally (chocolate will melt).
  7. Remove granola to cool for 15 minutes. Mix in remaining chocolate chips and stir.
  8. Keep granola in an airtight container for up to one week. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love the chocolate and peanut butter buying spree! It sounds pretty amazing to me! :)

    ReplyDelete