Search My Blog!!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Kerala Style Curry

Yay! Spring is finally here. At least I think it is. I can't really tell if we surpassed spring and entered summer already. Yesterday, we had 80 degree temperatures with high humidity. Around 10:30 a.m., I arrived back at the house after a run, completely soaked, because it was so ridiculously hot outside. It quickly made me remember why I wake up at 4 a.m. in the summer to go out for a run. But after the long winter we had, I'm really not complaining. It's nice to open my car door and not receive a heart-stopping electric shock. The second the weather became nicer, people were flooding the outdoors. The trails were packed with people once again. For a fleeting moment, I was actually quite excited to be surrounded by the folks who don't know what the arrows mean, or the "this trail is for wheels only" signs, but these feelings have passed. It's funny how quickly Minnesotans forgive Mother Nature. But I don't blame them because I'm with them! This winter was sheer brutal.
In keeping with my "flexitarian theme" I've been eating a lot more curries lately; a vegetable biryani recipe is on the menu for tonight's dinner. I absolutely love curry. We did find a decent indian restaurant in Uptown, but I do enjoy the smells that emanate from my own kitchen when it's curry night. This wasn't a traditional curry dish but it sure gave me the flavor I was hoping for. I loved the addition of coconut to make it sweet! I even took it a step further and added some golden raisins. The dish was creamy and delicious. And as always, the leftovers were even better.
Kerala Style Curry
Eats Well with Others
Yield: 5-6 servings
Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp anise seeds or fennel seeds
  • 1 Tbsp brown mustard seeds
  • 2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion, half chopped, half sliced, divided
  • 4 cups low sodium-vegetable broth
  • 1 can light coconut milk
  • 1 large butternut squash, seeded and diced (about 4 lb)
  • 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
  • 1 tsp ground tumeric
  • 1 tsp coarse salt
  • 2 cups frozen shelled edamame
  • sriracha, to taste
  • 6 Tbsp unsweetened flaked or shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Instructions
  1. Heat anise/fennel, mustard, and cumin seeds in a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Cover and cook for 2 minutes or until mustard seeds begin to pop, shaking the pan occasionally. Turn off heat and keep skillet covered until popping subsides.
  2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and saute 6 minutes. Add 1 cup broth, stirring the bottom of the saucepan to lift off any brown bits, then add remaining 3 cups broth and coconut milk. Stir in squash, cauliflower, ginger, tumeric, salt and toasted spices. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes. Add edamame and cook 10 minutes more. Add sriracha/hot sauce and salt to taste.
  3. Meanwhile, toast coconut in a small skillet over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until browned and fragrant. Set aside.
  4. Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onion. Saute 12 minutes or until golden.
  5. To serve, spoon into 6 bowls and garnish each serving with golden onion slices, toasted coconut and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment