Search My Blog!!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Carrot Raisin Wheat Berry Salad

Our bodies tell us when to slow down. They react, they retaliate, and try to force us to breathe deeply and clear our heads. I'm trying to listen to my body more. I've been sick so often during law school that I need to remove something from my plate. I want to live a long, healthy life. And if I stubbornly refuse to rest when I'm told, this is not going to happen. As a result, I made the decision not to participate in the Ironman this summer. It was a a hard decision, but with the upcoming move and summer classes, I could not mentally, or physically, do it without injury or breakdown. It's important that we make positive changes to care for ourselves and those who surround us. So, I'm trying to be better well-rounded. And I continue forward with adding more nutritious foods to my diet.
I made this not too long ago when I was looking for something that was healthy and yummy. I really enjoyed the combination of this wheatberry salad. It was very flavorful, but a unique spin on a salad that could be served at a bbq. Once the wheatberries were done, it took only about 5 minutes to prepare before lunch was served. Check this out next time you are looking for some good grains and veggies.
Carrot Raisin Wheat Berry Salad
Oh She Glows
Yield: 3 cups
Ingredients
  • 1 cup uncooked wheatberries
  • 4 medium sized carrots, peeled and chopped into small 1/4" pieces
  • 1.5 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • pinch red pepper flakes
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • cilantro
Instructions
  1. Place wheatberries in a pot and cook according to package directions.
  2. Meanwhile, chop your veggies. In a medium sized bowl, stir together the chopped carrots, olive oil, minced garlic cloves, lemon juice, vinegar, cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes and raisins. Stir well and add into a large saucepan. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes or so. (Lightly cook.) Place back in bowl.
  3. Drain and rinse wheatberries. Stir them into the carrot mixture. Stir in salt, pepper, and cilantro to taste, adjusting seasonings as necessary. Serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment