Search My Blog!!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Espresso Coffee Cake Muffins

I must be feeling bad.  I haven't been in the best frame of mind since returning from break/Pittsburgh/FL.  I appear to be unpleasant about being back in "school mode" (or lack thereof) and this must be translating over to "bad significant other'ing."  To clarify, I've been pretty testy lately and Ron is once again, pissed, that I chose to go to law school.

Hence, the weekend of Ron-approved foods.

These were very simple to make.  They smelled amazing while baking.  They certainly look very appetizing.  And, I tried one small bite and they are absolutely INCREDIBLE!!  However, I stopped at one bite :( and I chose to eat an apple instead.  Call me crazy (or a prude), but anything that leaves dabs of butter in the muffin tin and soaks through the muffin wrapper isn't appealing for a wholesome breakfast.  I love baking, but I've been getting better at making healthier muffins and I'm saving up for my Tuesday breakfast carrot cake concoction :)

Espresso Coffee Cake Muffins
adapted from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice
Yield:  I got 11 muffins.
Ingredients
For Muffins
  • 1 and 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon instant Espresso(can be doubled for a stronger flavor)
  • 1 tablespoon boiling water
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
For Topping
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 chopped almonds (I used pecans because that's what I had in the cabinet)
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 and 1/2 tablespoons butter (I chopped up into mini pieces and put in microwave for 10 sec. ) 
For Glaze (See recipe below) 
Instructions  
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. 
  3. In a small bowl dissolve the Espresso in the boiling water. 
  4. Add to flour mixture with the butter, egg, milk, and vanilla.
    1. Stir to combine, don't over mix. Batter will be thick.
  5. Fill muffin tin/baking cups 3/4 of the way. 
  6. Sprinkle with the topping, dividing equally among the muffins, press into batter gently.
  7. Bake for 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. 
  8. Drizzle with glaze (see recipe below).
For Glaze
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant Espresso
  • 1 teaspoon boiling water
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • vanilla extract, a drop
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2-3 teaspoons milk
  1. Dissolve the Espresso into the boiling water in a small bowl. 
  2. Add the brown sugar and use a fork to combine the two. 
  3. Add a drop of vanilla. 
  4. Add the confectioners sugar and 2 teaspoons of the milk. 
  5. Whisk until well combined. 
    1. If glaze is thick add another teaspoon of milk.  Whisk. 
  6. Drizzle over the warm muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment