Search My Blog!!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Individual Salmon and Wild Rice Salad

Tonight was a leftover night.  Ron was eating the soup, so I decided to make myself up a salmon salad.  It's fantastic!

I'm a big fan of making hearty, but healthy, salads.  This flavor combination may not seem good to you, but I can assure you that it's the perfect mix of veggies and saltiness.  The rice, olives and salmon make the lettuce so flavorful that I don't even use dressing.


I always use the No-Name brand salmon fillets.  I fell in love with these a while back and I always have them on hand.  They can be a bit pricey ($17.99 for 4 fillets) but I always pick up a few boxes when they go on sale at our local stores (for $9.99).  I'll stock up and by the time I need replenished, they are normally on sale again :)  They are around 270 calories (or probably closer to 300 thanks to the FDA's 20% rule).  With the rice and depending on what else you add, you can easily keep this hearty meal under 500 calories.  Fortunately, salmon has the "good fats" too so you get your Omega-3's.

This is one of my favorite salads to whip up for an individual meal.

Salmon and Wild Rice Salad
Created by Me!
Yield:  1 serving
Ingredients:
  • 5 oz. salmon fillet (I use No-Name brand.  These can be found in frozen section of grocery stores.)
  • 3-4 cups of greens (Use any kind you prefer; spring mix, spinach, romaine, etc.)
  • 1/4 cup of diced yellow onion
  • 1/2 cup diced carrots
  • Kalamata olives
  • 1/8 cup of shredded cheese
  • 2/3 cup of rice (Use any kind you prefer)
Instructions
  1. If using packaged salmon, prepare as instructed on package.  If using fresh salmon, well hell, I've never made my own before so good luck :)
  2. Place lettuce, veggies, olives and cheese into individual salad bowl.
  3. Heat up some rice (to your preference; minute rice, stovetop, microwave, etc...)
  4. Add rice to your salad bowl.
  5. Add salmon to your salad bowl.
  6. Cut salmon into salad.  Mix and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment