Search My Blog!!

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Snickerdoodles


I decided to use a different snickerdoodle recipe than Mom's.  I felt guilty doing it, but I've been on a quest to find the *ultimate* recipe for your standard cookies (Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter, Sugar, etc.) and this one tops the list!  Ron referred to them as "the best snickerdoodles I've ever made." 

Sorry, Mom!  But, all I changed was the butter addition and added vanilla.  It's amazing how a little bit of tweaking can change the entire taste, texture and experience :)

These cookies are unbelievably good.  I left them in for 8 minutes, 15 seconds and removed them instantly to cool on wire racks.  You really only have to leaves these in the oven just until they set.  They finish cooking on the wire racks.  They have a wonderful cake center and are so buttery and delish!  I'm glad I waited to have my "marathon dessert" until now.  Yum!

Note:  I've made snickerdoodles in the past and added cinnamon baking chips to the batter.  These are technically called "cinna-doodles."  To make cinna-doodles, add 1/2 bag of cinnamon baking chips to the batter after you've blended the dry ingredients into the wet.  Trust me, they make them taste even better!!


Snickerdoodles
adapted from Jules Food who adapted from All Recipes (look here for additional comments)
Yield:  48 cookies (or 24 if you cut the recipe in half)  The recipe that follows is for a full batch, however it can easily be cut.
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened 
  • 1/2 cup shortening (I used butter flavored, but the original recipe called for vegetable shortening)
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar 
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon 
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. 
  3. Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl; then blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt into the wet ingredients.  Mix just until blended.
  4. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
  5. Mix the 3 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. 
  6. Roll balls of dough in mixture. 
  7. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
  8. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. 
  9. Remove immediately from baking sheets or...as immediately as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment