Search My Blog!!

Friday, January 1, 2010

Lemon Chickpea Pasta w/ Chicken

Contrary to my food blog, I do cook and make healthy meals.  I just enjoy a little bit of sugar every now and then :)

This was such an easy recipe to make up and turned out so well.  However, I do plan to make it in the future and add some changes to boost the flavor.  In my dish, I did not include the capers that were in the original recipe.  I think these would have added a really good flavor.  I kept sprinkling hot pepper flakes on my pasta (which worked just fine) but I had a light-bulb go off while eating it.  Next time, I plan to add some cooked spinach & substitute roasted red pepper feta cheese for the Parmesan cheese.  I'll report back with details (though I've included where I'd make the changes) because I think this would taste incredible.  Otherwise, this recipe is good as it is with some bread and a side salad.  I laid my pasta on some spinach leaves and it worked well.

Lemony Chickpea Pasta w/ Chicken
adapted from eat.repeat
Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb small pasta like orecchiette or mini penne (I used 1/2 a box of whole wheat pasta shells)
  • 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 lemon juiced and zested (I used 1 whole lemon)
  • 4 tablespoons good quality olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons hot pasta water
  • 2 tablespoons capers
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce or red pepper flakes
  • 2 chicken breasts, cooked and cut up into small cubes (I bought from prepared food section to save time)
  • 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese, grated plus extra for serving
  • salt + pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Cook the pasta in salted, boiling water according to manufacturer directions. 
  2. In a large bowl mix lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, capers (if using), hot sauce/peppers and chicken.  (Add the cooked spinach - probably 1/2 of a small box of frozen/thawed/drained.)
  3. Add the chickpeas and stir to coat. 
  4. Drain the pasta, reserving some of the hot water.
  5. Add the pasta to the chickpeas mixture, stir in the cheese (would probably add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the feta), while adding the pasta water as you mix. 
  6. Season with salt and pepper. 
  7. Add more lemon juice/hot sauce to your liking.
  8. Serve with extra Cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment