Search My Blog!!

Monday, March 15, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

Have you ever had baked potato in soup form?  We have.  And wow was it awesome!!


I found this recipe while browsing through the Cooking Light website a few nights ago.  I have a ton of potato soup recipes bookmarked, but for some reason, this one appealed to me and I knew I had to make it immediately.  I think the recipe appealed to me because we were on day 3 of straight gloom/clouds/rain/puke weather.  Anytime I deal with garbage weather like that for a too many days in a row, I crave comfort and hearty soup foods.


This soup turned out very well.  I did have to add some additional seasoning to it, but this is because I am a salt and pepper. freak.  It tasted exactly like a baked potato in soup form and I did not have a single complaint about the soup.  I didn't use the bacon, but Ron did, and he loved it.  I also decided to add about 1.5 cups of the peeled potato skins to the soup for more texture.  I really enjoyed the addition and I think Ron did too.  I'm not a big fan of soup that doesn't have anything to chew.  Next time, I may do a mixture of 1/2 mashed and 1/2 potato chunks with skins still on.


The soup was a bit funny to reheat.  We had a lot of leftovers and it basically turned into a paste the next day.  However, a quick nuke in the microwave turned it back into a semi-liquid form (it was pretty thick to begin with) and I added about 1/2 c of cooked broccoli the second time around.  So good!  A potato soup that is so versatile after it's been cooked.  Definitely try this one.  Note:  nutritional information on Cooking Light website.  This can easily be adjusted/made with different cheese/milk, etc.
Baked Potato Soup
adapted from Cooking Light
Yield:  8 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups soup, 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons onions, and about 1 tablespoon bacon)
Ingredients

  • 4 baking potatoes (about 2.5 pounds)
    • Option of reserving about 1.5-2 cups of potato skins, cooked and peeled
  • 2/3 c AP flour (about 3 oz)
  • 6 c 2% milk
  • 1 c (4 oz) reduced-fat shredded extrasharp cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 c reduced fat sour cream
  • 3/4 c chopped green onions, divided
  • 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until tender.  Cool.  Peel potatoes, reserving potato skins if desired.  Coarsely mash.
  3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
  4. Place flour in a large Dutch oven; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended.
  5. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes).
  6. Add mashed potatoes, 3/4 c cheese, salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, stirring until cheese melts. 
  7. Remove from heat.
  8. Stir in sour cream and 1/2 c onions.
  9. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated (do not boil).
  10. Ladle soup into serving bowls and sprinkle each with remaining cheese, onions and bacon.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment