Search My Blog!!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Israeli Couscous with Raisins

I came home from an endurance ride the other day and I was ravenous.  By the time I had showered, I had devoured an apple and wayyy too many pretzels.  I was starving!!  My work-outs are starting to take over my life at this point.  I'm in week 7 of an 18-week program and I'm starting to feel it.  Everything, everything is sore and my body is a wreck!  Last week, my cardio activities alone maxed out at 11 hours.  That is a lot of cardio!  Fortunately, this week is a recovery week and I'm certain my body will appreciate the rest.  Granted, I rest as needed, but this tri-training hasn't given me the opportunity to accommodate for how sick I've been getting.  But, I have been making wise choices.  I'm getting sick for a reason and I've heeded my body's demands to slow down.


Anyway, I opened up the cabinet and knew I needed something.  And something needed to come fast!  I refused to settle for a quick bagel.  I needed something hearty, nutritious and good.  Something that would fill me up and serve as a good recovery meal to replenish the 1,500 calories I had just burned!  I spotted a box of Whole Wheat Israeli Couscous and I knew exactly what I wanted.  I had spotted a recipe in a recent Food Network magazine for Israeli Couscous w/ Raisins.  The entire recipe took about 15 minutes to make.  And, it was incredible!  I added some additional spices at the end to my individual bowl and focused on keeping a sweet cinnamon taste mixed throughout.  But, I also chose to include some red pepper flakes to add a bit of a kick.  In addition, I chopped up a Lady Alice apple (an exceptional piece of fruit) to stir in to keep the 'sweet' taste.  YUM!!  I am very pleased with the end result and this should definitely be saved to include in your recipe box.
Israeli Couscous with Raisins
adapted from Food Network
Yield:  About 5 generous servings
Ingredients
  • 2 c Israeli couscous (I used Gefen Whole Wheat)
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • Olive oil (about .5-1 tbsp)
  • Cinnamon
  • 1 c golden raisins
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1/2 - 3/4 c of sliced almonds or roasted peanuts
  • Fruit of choice, if desired (apple or banana would be delicious) 
  • Additional spices:  cinnamon, sliced green onions, black pepper, salt, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, etc.
Instructions
  1. Cook couscous as the label directs; drain if needed.
  2. Saute diced onion in olive oil with a pinch of cinnamon until golden, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add 1 c golden raisins and 2 tbsp water.  Cook 2 minutes.
  4. Once cooked, add raisins to the couscous.  Add nuts and toss evenly throughout.
  5. Serve in individual bowls.  Add fruit for preference and season as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment