Search My Blog!!

Monday, March 29, 2010

Pasta Bean Toss

This recipe might not appeal to some, but it definitely appealed to me.  After several weeks of complaining about being sick and feeling fatigue, I've started to wonder if I am anemic.  Many other symptoms are showing and I'm ready to head to the doctor again.  I've been told that I was "slightly anemic" but I'm not sure if something else is going on.  So, hopefully the doctor can straighten me out and not just send me away with the standard "you are too stressed and need to take better care of yourself" diagnosis.  In the meantime, I've been trying to eat healthier and eat foods that I know are good for me.


This recipe appealed to me because of all of the nutrients that are packed in.  It was created by a nutrition professor at Boston University.  I originally clipped it from a Runner's World magazine as a good meal to eat to refuel postrun/postride.  It is packed with vegetables, carbs and protein.  It turned out so good!  The only problem is the amount that it makes.  I will be eating this stuff for an entire week!  Here's to hoping it restores whatever is wrong in my body :)
Pasta Bean Toss
adapted from Runner's World
Yield:  6 servings
Ingredients
  • 1 lb whole-grain penne
  • 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp canola oil
  • 5 carrots, cut julienne-style
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 C raw broccoli florets
  • 12 ripe plum (roma) tomatoes, diced
  • 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 tbsp fresh basil or parsley, chopped
  • 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans
  • 1 15-ounce can white kidney beans
  • 1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
Instructions
  1. Cook pasta according to package.
  2. Meanwhile, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender in large frying pan (about 2 minutes).
  3. Add remaining veggies, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and basil or parsley.  Simmer for 4 minutes.
  4. Add beans and simmer for 2 minutes or until veggies are tender.
  5. Add pasta and cheese, and toss.

No comments:

Post a Comment