Search My Blog!!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Shrimp with Spinach and Orzo

We eat a lot of shrimp.  I never made shrimp at home until I started this blog and started browsing the internet for recipes.  There are so many recipes that use shrimp and I'm finding out why.  Shrimp is easy to cook and it's pretty difficult to overcook.  Plus, it can basically be paired with anything and turn out well.  I saw this recipe and knew I wanted to try it.  It looked simple and it looked very good.  I'm a big fan of feta so I knew the cheese part would be right up my alley!


Overall, the dish wasn't bad.  However, I plan to make this again with chicken and no shrimp.  As I ate this meal, I ended up taking all of the shrimp out and just eating the pasta & spinach mixture.  I'm used to eating shrimp with a lighter flavor.  The tomato + shrimp flavor overwhelmed me and I can't say I was a big fan.  For me, the pasta mixture alone would be a very good meal.  Pair with some chicken and it'd please the carnivore in the house.  


I used a 13x9 baking pan and the recipe makes a ton!  In a 2 person household, we'll be eating a lot of leftovers!
Shrimp with Spinach and Orzo
adapted from Cooking on the Side
Yield:  An 13x9 baking dish - divide that amongst the folks eating!
Ingredients
  • 2 cups orzo
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1 package (10 oz.) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 lb. shrimp, shelled and deveined
  • 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
Instructions



  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.  Lightly grease an 11×15-inch pan (or a 13x9-inch pan). 
  2. Cook orzo according to package directions; drain and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil.  Stir in spinach and drained diced tomatoes.  Spoon into prepared pan.
  3. Cook garlic in remaining oil. Add shrimp; sauté until just pink. 
  4. Add crushed tomatoes and oregano; simmer until slightly reduced. 
  5. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon over orzo mixture; top with cheese.
  6. Bake 15 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with parsley, if desired.  Serve with bread or a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment