Search My Blog!!

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Mango & Currant Muffins

One potato, two potato, three potato, four.  Five potato, six potato, seven potato, more!  Today, I realized that I was singing this while making these muffins.  Yet, I had no idea how I knew this rhyme.  When did I learn this rhyme and why has it stuck with me this long?  A quick google search told me that I must have learned it in preschool when I was learning to count.  Even though this is a simple rhyme, it has occurred to be that I seem to know a lot of lyrics to a lot of older songs that I haven't heard in a while.  Apparently, I remember things better when they are in song form.  Perhaps I should start turning the law into a song.  I wonder if I would see a jump in my gpa :)


Anyway, I bookmarked this recipe a few weeks ago when I was on a sweet potato binge.  Perhaps my favorite thing about sweet potatoes is the way they smell when they are baking in the oven.  It is definitely among my top ten favorite smells.  These muffins are very good.  They are very flavorful and I really enjoy the addition of mango.  These are good right out of the oven but I found that the spices came out more the next day.  The majority of the muffins are now in the freezer and I'm looking forward to nuking them in the microwave for a quick breakfast.


Although they are good muffins, I don't think I will be making them again anytime soon or on a weekly muffin rotation (I eat a lot of muffins)!  My parents got me Dorie's cookbook (aka the Baking Bible) for my birthday and there are TONS of recipes in there that I want to make!
WW Sweet Potato Mango & Currant Muffins
adapted from La Spicy Vita
Yield:  12-14 large muffins (I forced the batter to fit in the tin so I had 12)
Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups pureed sweet potato (about 2 medium)
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour 
    • Original called for WW pastry flour
  • 3/4 cup unbleached AP flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup diced mango
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger (many recipes suggested 1/4 tsp ground ginger)
  • 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup chopped currants (or dates)
Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 
  2. Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a baking sheet lined with foil. 
  3. Roast for about one hour or until caramelizing and tender. 
  4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before peeling and mashing with a fork. 
  5. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees. 
  6. In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potato, eggs, agave, applesauce, ginger and vanilla extract. 
  7. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom. 
  8. Next fold together the wet and dry ingredients until just mixed, and then add in the mango and dates. 
  9. Pour into greased muffin pans. 
  10. Bake for 20-30 minutes until lightly browned.  (Mine took closer to 30 because they were large)

No comments:

Post a Comment