Search My Blog!!

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Blueberry Oat Muffins

I haven't posted in a while.  :(  I've been sick and virtually unable to do anything.  I'm not quite sure what's wrong with me.  Perhaps it's everything tumbling in on me at once, or the fact that I've increased my exercise far beyond anything I've ever done before, but I'm kind of a wreck.  I keep falling over.  I'm tired.  I'm cranky.  I'm dizzy.  I'm gaining/losing weight.  I'm congested.  I have what appears to be a perpetual headache.  I spent a large part of my weekend at the doctor's office.  And, for the first time in my life, I opted not to do several workouts because I felt my body needed a break.  OK.  Enough complaining.  Sorry!


Despite the above, I have been able to make some yummy food.  Though, I've opted for quick and easy recipes to limit the amount of time I'm moving around.  Some of them turned out good and others not so good.  You can tell when I put all of my efforts into something vs. not so much.  When you're sick, you want comfort food.  For me, comfort mood = muffins.  On my never-ending search for healthy muffins, I stumbled upon these.  I'm delighted to say that the muffins were very, very good.  When you use applesauce and WW flour in place of other typical muffin ingredients (such as AP flour and oil), the muffins might turn out too dry or too dense.  These combined both types of ingredients and kept the muffins moist and tasty.


I cut the recipe in half to yield 6 muffins.  They were delicious when paired with my morning cup of coffee!
Blueberry Buttermilk Oat Muffins
adapted from Steph Chows
Yield:  12-15 muffins
Ingredients



  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/4 cups oats
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen - double if preferred)

Instructions



  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
  2. In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. 
  3. In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg. 
  4. Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture.  Stir until just moist.
  5. Fold in blueberries. 
  6. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full.
  7.  Bake for 16-18 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment