Search My Blog!!

Friday, February 5, 2010

Chocolate Chocolate Salty Cookies

OK, I don't want to freak out or anything but HOLY BUCKETS!!!  Seriously, these cookies are pretty damn good.  I am obsessed with chocolate (and salt) so pairing the two makes for a delicious cookie.

A few months ago, Ron first mentioned that he wanted some type of coffee cookie.  I had baked some magic middle cookies and he requested something that had coffee granules in the cookie.  So, I started my search for the perfect cookie of this sort.  The other day, I stumbled across this recipe and had the idea to shove cappuccino chips in the middle to make for an "espresso magic middle."  This attempt failed.  Miserably.

I had cooled the dough and then attempted to go back and mold the cookie.  Big mistake.  The dough was too hard at first and broke my small cookie scoop.  R.I.P. small cookie scoop.

I let it soften on the counter for about 25 minutes and attempted again.  I was able to grab some cookie dough but the dough was too crumbly to work with and I couldn't mold it around the chips the way I wanted.   So, only about 5 ended up with the cappuccino chips (I made a half batch).

However, the cookies that do have the cappuccino chips make the cookie taste pretty damn remarkable.  Unfortunately, I've had a hell of a time finding these chips in MN (apparently they are discontinued, not an unusual occurrence for my favorite products), so big props to my mom who sent me a batch to hold me over.  Honestly, the cookie itself is pretty damn remarkable so make these w/o the chips or substitute with good peanut butter chips!!  But, next time, I will replace the remaining chocolate chips with the cappuccino chips and pre-mix them into the batter instead of trying to do what I was doing.

I'm still planning on creating this espresso magic middle cookie though. 


Hyperbole Cookies (a.k.a Chocolate Chocolate Cookies with Sea Salt)
adapted from In Praise of Leftovers who adapted from Seattle Homes and Lifestyle magazine. 

Ingredients
  • 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 1/4 c. (1/2 cube) unsalted butter
  • 12 oz. (2 c.) dark chocolate chips
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 2 Tb. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 Tb. instant espresso powder
  • 1/4 ts. baking powder
  • 2 1/2 ts. flaked salt
    • Don't use sea salt.  It makes the cookies taste too salty.
  • 1 1/2 c. light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 ts. vanilla
  • Cappuccino chips
    • I use Guittard.  I'm not sure if anyone else makes these.
Instructions
  1. Heat unsweetened chocolate, butter and 1 cup of chocolate chips in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently.  Cool.
  2. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
  3. In another large bowl, beat sugar, eggs, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and frothy, about two minutes. 
  4. Whisk in chocolate mixture until blended.  
  5. Stir in flour mixture at low speed until blended.  
  6. Stir in remaining chocolate chips (or cappuccino chips). 
  7. Refrigerate batter, covered, until dough is firm, about two hours.
  8. Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350.
  9. Take enough dough from batter to shape into 1″ balls.
    1. I let my dough soften a bit on the counter for about 20 minutes before working with the dough.  I found it was difficult to work with, so adjust as necessary.
  10. Mold a 1″ ball or use cookie scoop to get even cookies.
  11. Arrange 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
  12. Smoosh down a tiny bit and sprinkled flaked salt or vanilla powder on top (if desired). 
  13. Bake in batches until puffed and set, about 10 minutes per batch.  
  14. Cool on baking sheet 10 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. do you want me to buy you some of these chips and send with Dad?

    ReplyDelete