Search My Blog!!

Monday, February 1, 2010

Lemon, Garlic & Thyme Chicken Drumsticks

We ate this meal over the weekend.  I wish I had a better reason as to why I have not posted since that weekend.  My reason:  I did not have batteries.  The batteries in our camera died and we didn't have any spares around.  So, I couldn't upload this picture.

Oh well.  I'm bumming about my photos lately.  I don't have the time/energy to dedicate to a "serious food blog" and it's frustrating.  Food blogging is highly addictive and looks like it can be fun, rewarding and social.  *Sigh - maybe in the next few months.

Anyway, enough pity party.  Normally, I don't make/eat drumsticks.  This dinner explained why.  Apparently, I do not like them.  At all.

Ron really liked this recipe, but I didn't.  I guess I just don't like dark meat.  All I could taste was fat and oil.  I ate about 1.5 bites before I gave them to Ron to finish.  I rolled up the rice and veggies in a wrap and had a wonderful meal.  I found a ton of recipes for various "baked" versions of drumsticks, etc.  However, they are being tossed.  No drumsticks in this kitchen.  Sorry.

I did really enjoy the veggie mix though.  The veggie mix I used was a new product from Alexia.  Oddly enough, there is no picture on their site, so here is mine: 
It was very, very simple to make and required about 8 minutes in a skillet.  I saw several flavors that I intend to try.  You can probably find them in the organic section.

Lemon, Garlic & Thyme Drumsticks Recipe
adapted from Gimme Some Oven
Ingredients:

  • 6 chicken drumsticks (about 1.5 lbs.), rinsed
  • 3 Tbsp. olive oil
  • zest and juice of one lemon (about 1 Tbsp. zest, 2 Tbsp. juice)
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tsp.)
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme
  • coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Instructions:
  1. Place the first five ingredients (chicken through thyme) in a large bowl or ziplock bag, and mix well so that the chicken is well coated.
    1. I removed the skin off of a few of my drumsticks. 
  2. Cover/seal and refrigerate to marinate for 1-12 hours.
    1. Or 5 minutes, however long you have.
  3. When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 375F degrees.  
  4. Then remove drumsticks from marinade bowl/bag and place in a greased baking dish, and season with salt and pepper.  
  5. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the juices run clear.  
    1. For extra flavor, brush the drumsticks with more of the marinade about 20 minutes into baking.  
  6. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment