Search My Blog!!

Friday, February 19, 2010

Cinnamon Swirl Bread


Um, yum?!  Yes, definitely YUM!  This breakfast bread cake is insane!

I wanted to use up the buttermilk I had recently purchased.  I hadn't baked Ron a breakfast bread in a while so I decided to pull up a recipe that I had bookmarked a while back for cinnamon swirl bread.  Ron and I are huge fans of all things cinnamon and sugar.  Honestly, I contemplated naming my blog "Cinnamon and Sugar Buttered Toast" because I normally eat this in addition to my daily PB and Graham.

Ron's ideas of "breakfast breads" differ from mine.  I like things with fruit, grains and minimal sugar.  This breakfast bread would probably fall along the lines of what I would call a breakfast cake.  Regardless, it's amazing.

This treat smelled incredible while it was baking in the oven.  Hell, it smelled incredible while I was mixing the ingredients!  Seriously, cinnamon and sugar... oh my goodness, it is definitely a weakness of mine.

Note:  the blogger who made this bread prior mentioned that her bread had sunk in the middle and the inside had not fully cooked.  Be careful, if your break sinks, it might not be completely cooked.  Also, use caution with the "do not overmix" language.  They aren't lying!

Cinnamon Swirl Bread
adapted from Mangio da Sola
Yield:  1 9x5 loaf
Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup buttermilk (or milk)
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease/flour/spray the bottom and sides of a 9″x5″x3″ loaf pan.
  2. Combine 1/3 cup of sugar, pecans (if using), and cinnamon. Set aside.
  3. Combine 1 cup of sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl or mixer bowl. 
  4. In a separate bowl, beat egg. 
  5. Then, stir in buttermilk (or milk) and oil
  6. Make a well in the flour mixture and add the egg mixture; stir just until mixed.  Do not overmix.
  7. Pour half of the batter into loaf pan.  
  8. Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon mixture. 
  9. Repeat. 
  10. With a wide rubber scraper or spatula, swirl mixtures together with a down and up circular motion.
  11. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until done.  
  12. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes. 
  13. Then, cool completely on a wire rack and top with glaze.
    1. I left off the glaze.
Glaze
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment