Search My Blog!!

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Spaghetti and Meatball Sandwiches

Ron and I love watching the Food Network.  For a while, I became obsessed with the channel and began DVR'ing everything that would possibly be interesting.  Eventually, I realized that I did not have the time to catch up with the hours of shows that stayed on our DVR.  Plus, after an impulse purchase ($50 worth of brownies from Vermont) at 3am, I decided to cut my tv watching back and settled on a Food Network magazine subscription.

However, we still watch a fair amount from the Food Network.  We are big fans of the challenges and always tune in when they air.  A few months ago, we watched a Sandwich Challenge called "Super Heroes."  The chefs had so many hours to make 3 different types of sandwiches.  If I recall, this Spaghetti and Meatball sandwich was Jason's "hot" sandwich.  It impressed the judges and with good reason!  It looked intriguing and sounded delicious so I thought it would be perfect for a Superbowl meal!

This sandwich was very good.  The addition of the spaghetti turns a meatball sandwich into a party!  Like normal, I needed some veggies so I made up a small salad and some sweet potato fries.  I'm so used to my sandwiches being jam packed full of veggies.  But, this sandwich was pretty dang good.

Jason is the head chef at Gemini Bistro in Chicago.  We're planning on making a stop there for my birthday dinner when we're in town next month.  There's an incredible 3 course deal w/ wine pairings.  The restaurant has received very good ratings and well... he's been featured on the Food Network :)

You can find the full recipe by clicking on the link below.  However, I cut the recipe for 2 people and reflected the changes in the recipe below.  Also, I "cheated" to save some time.  I pre-purchased some meatballs and spaghetti sauce from Kowalski's.
Spaghetti and Meatball Sandwiches
adapted from Food Network.com courtesy of Jason Paskewitz, Chicago, Illinois
Ingredients  
  • Spaghetti sauce
  • Meatballs
  • Cooked spaghetti
  • Italian Bread 
    • We used sliced wheat toast for individual sandwiches.
  • Parmesan cheese (or whatever italian cheese you prefer)
  • Fresh basil
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp onion salt or garlic powder
  • salt and pepper
Instructions
  1. Prepare spaghetti as directed on box.  Make enough for 2-4 sandwiches (depending on how much you want).
  2. Cut meatballs to lay on bread and set aside.
  3. In a small saucepan, combine butter, onion salt or garlic powder, minced garlic and salt and pepper. 
  4. Heat until butter is melted. 
  5. Slice Italian bread lengthwise and remove any excess dough. 
  6. Brush butter mixture evenly all over both sides of Italian bread. 
  7. Alternate layers of spaghetti, sauce and meatballs throughout the bread. 
  8. Top with basil and cheese and close the sandwich. 
  9. Grill the sandwich for 3 minutes on each side on either a griddle or a panini press.

No comments:

Post a Comment