Search My Blog!!

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pumpkin Cranberry Granola

Granola is one of my favorite snacks.  For a while, I got hooked on eating Nature's Path Hemp granola w/ blueberries, banana and honey.  Thanks to a buttload of carbs, I was sprinting around like I had the energy of a 5 year old!  Sadly, after 3 months straight, I eventually grew sick of it.  But, you can best bet that once blueberry season rolls around, I'll start up the routine again.


For the past few months, I've been making my own granola.  I still love some of the store-bought brands, but I love how easy it is to make your own granola.  You can make tons in a roasting pan or a small amount in a baking sheet.  Plus, the kitchen (and entire house) smells incredible while it's baking.  It is easy to store and you can easily add your own ingredients.


This recipe is great.  It is easily adaptable and you can add whatever mix-ins you want.  And, prepare for some incredible smells emanating from your oven! 
Pumpkin Cranberry Granola
adapted from Homemade by Holman who adapted from A Year in the Kitchen
Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups old fashion rolled oats
  • 1/2 c flax seed
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup)
  • 3/4 cup currants
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 3/4 cup chopped nuts
  • 1 T olive or canola oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. 
  2. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper. 
  3. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well until the wet ingredients are evenly incorporated. 
    1. I whisked the wet ingredients & the spices in a small, separate bowl before adding to the dry to ensure an even mixture.
  4. Spread out mix onto a baking sheet, try to get it into an even layer but don't worry too much about clumps at this point. 
  5. Bake about 30 minutes, stir and spread mixture in an even layer again. 
  6. Continue baking about 30 minutes more. 
  7. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment