Search My Blog!!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwiches w/ Pineapple and Mango Salsa

I was feeling Hawaiian.  Granted, I've never been to Hawaii, but I was still feeling Hawaiian.  I think this was because I love pineapple and I was craving it.  I love Hawaiian pizza, Hawaiian inspired sandwiches and anything with citrus.  Perhaps the recent sunshine has given me a Vitamin-D overdose!


I often make a Hawaiian BBQ pulled chicken recipe in the crockpot.  It's awesome (I'll post at some point) and it's so easy.  However, I decided I would give this pork recipe a shot.  I also decided that I needed some kind of "slaw/salsa" to go on top.  I looked in the fridge and saw some leftover cilantro, a lime, some pineapple and mango.  Score!!  I recall seeing a grilled chicken w/ mango and pineapple salsa recipe using the same ingredients in Cooking Light over the summer.  I searched for the recipe and found it!!  The original recipe called for a jalapeno, but I'm not a big fan of mixing that "spark" to my tang.


This recipe was very easy to make.  Total hands-on time was probably about 20 minutes.  However, I was not a fan of the meal.  Apparently, I really dislike pork.  I didn't really know this until this meal was made.  I don't like the taste or the texture.  Regarding the recipe, I normally don't remove the meat from the crockpot before I shred.  And, I didn't this time.  Accordingly, the pork was soaking in the BBQ juice and it made for an unpleasant experience.  I used a slotted spoon to make my sandwich, but by the time I took the picture, the juice had soaked through the bun.  Perhaps it was the weak buns I used (or the fact that I didn't follow directions).  But, I still think that a hoagie roll/thicker bun would work better.


Regardless of my distaste for pork, I am posting the recipe because the flavor was excellent.  I really enjoyed the Hawaiian sauce because it had the perfect balance of sweet and spicy.  I plan to make this again using chicken and I plan to thicken the sauce (and remove the meat before shredding).  Honestly, the flavors in the sauce were dynamite.  It just needs a bit of tweaking.  Also, it got the seal of approval from Ron so up goes the recipe.  (Eh.  I hope I'm not turning into the household picky eater.)
Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwiches w/ Pineapple and Mango Salsa
adapted from FoodNetwork.com and CookingLight.com (click this link for an awesome chicken recipe, I plan to make this soon with the grill pan!)
Yield:  A lot!!
Ingredients
Pulled Pork
  • 1 packet of teriyaki marinade
    • I used McCormick Grill Mates Hawaiian Luau.
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 3.5 pounds pork shoulder
  • 1/2 c chicken broth
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 cup chili sauce
    • I used a Sweet Chili Sauce (can find in ethnic/asian aisle)
  • 1 6 ounce can of pineapple juice
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • Hamburger rolls
Hawaiian Sauce
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 tbsp ginger, chopped
  • 2 tsp garlic, chopped
Salsa
  • 2/3 c diced and peeled mango (one medium)
  • 2/3 c diced fresh pineapple
  • 2 tbsp minced red onion
  • 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
Instructions
For Pulled Pork
  1. In a small bowl, combine the teriyaki, paprika and pepper.
  2. Coat the pork with the rub mixture until all rub is used.  Set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, chili sauce and pineapple juice.  Set aside.
  4. Place the chopped onions and carrots in the bottom of a 5 quart slow cooker.
  5. Place pork on top of the carrots and onion. 
  6. Pour half of the pineapple juice mixture over the pork.  Cover the remainder and put in fridge to reserve for the Hawaiian sauce.
  7. Cover the pork and cook on low for 7-8 hours.  The meat should fall apart easily.
  8. Remove the roast and place on cutting board to shred with 2 forks.
    1. Do this!  It's a necessary step :)
  9. Serve pork on rolls drizzled with Hawaiian sauce.
For Hawaiian Sauce

  1. In medium pot, heat oil over medium heat.
  2. Add garlic and ginger and saute until soft, about 2 minutes.
  3. Add remaining pineapple juice mixture.  Bring to a boil.  Then, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.  
  4. Remove from heat and set aside.
  5. Either drizzle sauce on top of sandwiches or keep on side for dipping.

For Salsa
  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  Cover; refrigerate for 30 minutes until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment